Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC acting up.

• Please log in to reply

Inugamii

Inugamii

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello Everyone.

Recently, About a week ago, My PC started acting out a bit strange, Everything is still working fine, so thats no problem but the thing is, Ever since last week, whenever I leave my PC on overnight; The next morning, The monitor is all black, for a minute I thought it was on Idle, but I moved the mouse and nothing happened, the monitor remained Black, The tower was still going, The 2 lights on the tower were still Solid Green... I have no idea whats up with my PC,
Its recently happened Last monday, this monday and this morning...
I have already tried chkdsk /r, FIXBOOT. Still its occuring...

Is anyone able to help me?

Best Regards,
Inu.

EDIT: Thank you Broni for locking up the other threads.

Edited by Inugamii, 12 February 2009 - 08:38 PM.

Advertisements

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
It must be an error in your OS, sometimes your power settings have it set up so it will turn off hard drives besides the screen, try disabling that setting (on windows its on Control Panel and Power Management). Let me know what do you leave it on for? It may be some program also.

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sometimes I Virus scan, thats about it, most of the time, I jsut leave my pc on overnight so I dont have to boot up the day after =S

sync0s

sync0s

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
It sounds like your computer is stuck in hibernate mode. Try disabling it..

• Right click on your desktop, and select 'Properties'
  • Select the 'Screen Saver' tab
  • Click 'Power Settings' button
  • Select 'Hibernate' tab
  • Uncheck 'Enable Hibernate' box.
  • Click 'Apply'

I personally leave my computer on for weeks at a time, but I don't use hibernate. In the same menu I just set monitor off after 25 minutes just to save some power, but that's all I do. Hibernate mode creates a file called hyberfil.sys that's usually very large and will suck up some of your hd disk space. Also, many people do report same issues as you with hibernate mode enabled.

Try this and let us know how it works

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I looked into it, Enable Hibernate box is already unchecked...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what happens if you set Hibernate and standby to never...

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Oh~ but... Ive never setted the hibernating before, and this just recently started happening, howd this happen?
My friend says its the power supply, I dont know.

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I think this problem is getting worse...
MY Boot up screen is getting slow and I have to restart my pc almost everyday now...
Oh gosh...
EDIT: Oh my god, Now the recovery console wont work... ><
It can't fix the problem...
When I boot up the pc, it says cannot find hardware or something now... please help me...><

Edited by Inugamii, 12 February 2009 - 02:54 PM.

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
What device does it say it’s not detecting?
Go ahead and check if it’s a problem with your cooling system, make sure that the fans are running and touch around the CPU (make sure you have no static in your fingers by discharging it touching a screw or some conductive large metal right before doing it) to see if it’s too hot.

We can rule out that it’s a drivers’ issue, it’s a hardware malfunction, try restoring your BIOS settings to default, disconnect-reconnect devices and let us know what happens. Does the PC always shows the boot up screen or does it boot and does nothing sometimes?

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

What device does it say it’s not detecting?
Go ahead and check if it’s a problem with your cooling system, make sure that the fans are running and touch around the CPU (make sure you have no static in your fingers by discharging it touching a screw or some conductive large metal right before doing it) to see if it’s too hot.

We can rule out that it’s a drivers’ issue, it’s a hardware malfunction, try restoring your BIOS settings to default, disconnect-reconnect devices and let us know what happens. Does the PC always shows the boot up screen or does it boot and does nothing sometimes?

Well, right now im running chkdsk /r on the PC but the thing is, Its taking very long for some unknown reason to me...
Its been almost 3 hours or more...

Could this thread be posted on my other Thread; "RE: PC acting up"

EDIT: Thank you Broni for locking up the other threads, Didnt know how to delete them. :) Sorry.

Edited by Inugamii, 12 February 2009 - 08:36 PM.

Advertisements

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ive tried the recovery console again...
this time I did Bootcfg \rebuild, I followed steps on a seperate thread but when I got to the boot screen, It just hangs there...
Windows loading screen doesnt even show up at all, It just hangs at the choosing safe mode, last known configuration, start windows normally screen...
Im gonna leave it on overnight or something, Really depressed right now...

The Dell screen finishes loading, then the blinkin underscore screen, after that, theres a white line on the bottom on the screen- where the choosing safe mode, last known configuration options are at, kind of like lllllllllllllllllllll -
is starts filling up from left all the way to the right side and then it freezes right there...

Edited by Inugamii, 12 February 2009 - 09:25 PM.

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sorry to hear this is getting you depressed, cheer up, the harder the problem the more you learn from it! I’d like to suggest something that could rule out a lot of things and open new doors for you.

Go ahead and try to run ubuntu on your machine and see how it goes, here’s the link to the ISO image, just burn it and it will run the whole OS without installing anything permanent. It will also give you access to your files in case you need to reinstall windows. If Ubuntu runs smoothly at least a couple of times, then the reinstall could fix it all for you, if not, then we'll try seeing about hardware malfunctioning.

If windows does not boot anymore on safe mode or any other mode, I'm afraid you have two options: A fresh new install or try repairing the installation with your windows CD, but I'd choose the first, the other can leave you where you started and is not failproof.
(If anyone knows another way to get windows to boot in these cases, please let us know!)

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So theres no other way huh...? :) :)
What exactly is wrong with my Computer? >< :) :)
I want to know If I can still fix my PC or back up my datas.

Edited by Inugamii, 13 February 2009 - 10:06 AM.

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
mm... so I left the pc on all night and this morning, nothings changed, after the dell loading screen, the blinking underscore screen, It just freezes there with the lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Line all white... Does this mean that windows wont load?
Im not really sure what I did or what I should be doing now... I didnt get my datas backed up from the PC and I really want to fix this problem asap. Since V-Day is around the corner and whatnot...

A few reboots ago, before I tried using Recovery console again I had the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I dont know why I dont get it now... :)

Im sorry If Im getting everyone so annoyed of my posts, Im just a bit desperate to fix this problem.

Edited by Inugamii, 13 February 2009 - 03:09 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to do a repair...the lowdown is here...