Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC acting up.

• Please log in to reply

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

you need to do a repair...the lowdown is here...

Thank you happyrock, but - I didnt back up my data, Is there any other way?

Advertisements

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

mm... so I left the pc on all night and this morning, nothings changed, after the dell loading screen, the blinking underscore screen, It just freezes there with the lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Line all white... Does this mean that windows wont load?
Im not really sure what I did or what I should be doing now... I didnt get my datas backed up from the PC and I really want to fix this problem asap. Since V-Day is around the corner and whatnot...

A few reboots ago, before I tried using Recovery console again I had the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I dont know why I dont get it now... :)

Im sorry If Im getting everyone so annoyed of my posts, Im just a bit desperate to fix this problem.

Dude, have you read anything I've posted? :) Do the linux thing and you will be able to backup your data before risking repairing or reinstalling windows.

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

mm... so I left the pc on all night and this morning, nothings changed, after the dell loading screen, the blinking underscore screen, It just freezes there with the lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Line all white... Does this mean that windows wont load?
Im not really sure what I did or what I should be doing now... I didnt get my datas backed up from the PC and I really want to fix this problem asap. Since V-Day is around the corner and whatnot...

A few reboots ago, before I tried using Recovery console again I had the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I dont know why I dont get it now... :)

Im sorry If Im getting everyone so annoyed of my posts, Im just a bit desperate to fix this problem.

Dude, have you read anything I've posted? :) Do the linux thing and you will be able to backup your data before risking repairing or reinstalling windows.

hm, Ill just hand my computer over to my uncles cousin that goes to nyu,see if he can fix it, he fixed my BSOD 0x024. xP

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you would have bothered to go to the link and read ...it would have told you the repair would not hurt your data..

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

if you would have bothered to go to the link and read ...it would have told you the repair would not hurt your data..

:) On the "Why I would want to use the Windows XP Repair"
It doesnt list the reason why I would want to use it. :) :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

this is the reason you need to do it...

I think this problem is getting worse...
MY Boot up screen is getting slow and I have to restart my pc almost everyday now...
Oh gosh...
EDIT: Oh my god, Now the recovery console wont work... ><
It can't fix the problem...
When I boot up the pc, it says cannot find hardware or something now... please help me.

reread post 4 and 6...after doing these things report back...
or if you don't want my help...just say the word

Edited by happyrock, 14 February 2009 - 06:29 PM.

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

this is the reason you need to do it...

I think this problem is getting worse...
MY Boot up screen is getting slow and I have to restart my pc almost everyday now...
Oh gosh...
EDIT: Oh my god, Now the recovery console wont work... ><
It can't fix the problem...
When I boot up the pc, it says cannot find hardware or something now... please help me.

reread post 4 and 6...after doing these things report back...
or if you don't want my help...just say the word

Had to restart the recovery console a few times to get it to work :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first...stop quoting what I said...it only makes it harder to read your reply...just your reply is enough...
then when you are asked to do something...please let us know if you did any any results...good or bad...
like...did you set Hibernate and standby to never...
its hard to figure out the problem when you don't / won't do what I would do if it was setting on my bench...
we need all the info we can get and by the process of elimination we will identify the problem and then fix it..

Edited by happyrock, 15 February 2009 - 08:15 AM.

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yeah, The hibernate and standby has been always set on Never, It just recently started Happening so I dont think thats the problem,
I checked anyway...Both of them is on Never

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
at this point I would still do a repair on xp...if your data is not backed up ...
then I would use linux to get it backed up first as been suggested already...
remember this...data that you don't have at least 2 copies of... is data you really don't care about ...
it should be copied to external hard drive and dvd's....
then do the repair...

Advertisements

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Nico said I should use ubuntu, should I use that one as well?

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Nico said I should use ubuntu, should I use that one as well?

Well it’s actually the easiest tool I know, if you’re going for linux to do your backup, Ubuntu has a relatively soft learning curve so I’d go with that.

Inugamii

Inugamii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hmm, Where can I download/get Linux?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can get Ubuntu here....its a live cd...that just means it will run from your cd drive...
After your download begins you'll be given additional instructions on how to create and use your Ubuntu CD.