Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup FAIL due to hardware?

• Please log in to reply

marylandroyal

marylandroyal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, first time on here. A buddy of mine help put together a computer for me a couple of months ago, but has since moved away. The comp has been working great for a few months but recently (i think after a windows auto update may have downloaded) it does not start up or post... after pushing the power button all the fans start up, lights turn on, but no post and a blank/black monitor screen.

I used to play around with computers back in high school...its been 10 years, but I still know the basics of the hardware.

I'm not sure if its the mother board - MB ASUS P5Q PRO 775 P45 RT

or maybe the processor - CPU INTEL|C2D E8500 3.16G 775 45N R (i checked it, didn't look burnt or messed up)

or maybe something I didn't suspect or don't know about.

Any help/suggestions would be great, thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

(i checked it, didn't look burnt or messed up)

Did you take it apart or just took a look at it?

It’s happened to me a lot of times that if I just take it all apart and put it back together, it magically works, the same way it breaks. Windows wouldn’t be to blame this time, this is a hardware failure.
Try disconnecting all that is not vital for it to startup to rule things out, like CD/DVD drive, modems, PCI devices, that can keep it from booting sometimes, and also, did you rule out your screen yet?