Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One PC Accessing Two Subnets?

• Please log in to reply

crystalv

crystalv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have two networks, one run with a 2003 server and one with a 2000 server.

2003 server on 172. and 2000 on 192.

The 2003 server connects to all the main PCs on the network and does DHCP and is a domain controller. It also is the internet gateway and routing and remote access is enabled.

The 2000 server hosts an SQL server and is attached to machinery out in the factory.

One of the PCs on the network 172 needs to communicate with the 192 subnet so that it can control the machinery out in the factory. However, it needs to also be a part of the 172 network so that it can access all of the 'work information'.

Any way to do this?

(btw, sorry if I didn't get some of the terms correct)

Advertisements

wjsim

wjsim

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I'm a network man. Please pardon me If I get some of the systems terms and concepts wrong.

Have you tried a ping from the PC to the server in 192 subnet? If it works, then the network is fine. System-wise... :)

I see you're running private addresses (192.168 and 172.16)... I'm not sure what the router does to private addresses trying to go out of the network. I've thought of something though. Maybe you can install another NIC on the PC that needs both networks, one NIC connects to 192 and one connects to 172.

Then again, I'm not sure how the domain controllers will work this out. :) Interesting.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello there crystalv,

I would like to ask you a question.
Are you getting paid to maintain these servers / networks?

We at Geeks to Go have a policy not to help anyone that is getting paid to do their job.
Quoting from the terms of use:

We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

Regards,
Olrik

crystalv

crystalv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am getting paid, so never mind.

Sorry, I guess I didn't read the TOS closely enough!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Thanks for your understanding crystalv :)

Regards,
Olrik