Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I check to see whether the fault is just my hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Zanki

Zanki

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I made a thread http://www.geekstogo...-...15&start=15 a few days ago when I couldn't boot into windows yet again. I finally got a check working and I was told the hard drive needed replacing.

I want to send the hard drive back and get either a replacement or a refund but I first need to find out if it is the hard drive dying or another part of my pc causing it. I still have my pc on, but the next time I shut it down I wont be able to get back on it without having to wait a few hours while windows does a repair. I don't want to have to do this again, but I really need my pc working as this laptop is blue screening all the time even though I just got it fixed. I have backed up the hard drive so I don't care what happens to the stuff on it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your log in the other post contains mentions of Bad Sectors which means the drive is toast.
If it's under warranty and you've got everything backed up, send the drive in under warranty.
If it's out of warranty, any PC shop will sell you a drive for it.

Never mind what technical support tells you, the drive is under warranty and they'll test it anyway.

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Your log in the other post contains mentions of Bad Sectors which means the drive is toast.
If it's under warranty and you've got everything backed up, send the drive in under warranty.
If it's out of warranty, any PC shop will sell you a drive for it.

Never mind what technical support tells you, the drive is under warranty and they'll test it anyway.

Ok, thanks, I'll send it off when I can get the packaging it came in up here.