Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot log into windows XP

• Please log in to reply

ben0l0

ben0l0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Using my logitec keyboard I dont seem to be able to use ~. Its on my keyboard but when I type it all I get is \ or : when I press shift

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What type of keyboard is it? PS/2, USB, wireless?
Try another keyboard, possibly PS/2.

ben0l0

ben0l0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I decided to cut my losses, I used Knoppix to access my harddrive and copy all the files I wanted to keep. I then used a copy of my Dad's XP Pro CD (I had XP Home I think) to reinstall a fresh copy of windows and format everything else. This worked fine and have now reinstalled anti virus etc

However, I keep getting a pop up saying I have to register my version of windows within 30 days. To do this it appears I need my COA sticker. As mentioned previously I changed the case of my PC and in moving house the COA sticker is now missing, I assume I can't use the one on my Dad's PC either. Is there a way to find my original COA number given my PC is several years old.

Also, will registering my copy of windows affect my Dad's Windows i.e. Microsoft won't like two computers using the same version of windows

Thanks for all your help

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Even if you had your old product key it wouldn't work with another version of XP (your dad's). The only way is to buy another licence from microsoft. If you don't, your computer will lose functionality after 30 days. Your father's computer will not be damaged.

ben0l0

ben0l0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
There is no way of finding a COA key other than buying a new one even though I already had a licensed version of XP when I purchased my PC.

How would I got about buying a UK license from Microsoft. Would I have to reinstall everything again or would it just give me a new COA key to enter when registering with microsoft

thanks for your help

ben0l0

ben0l0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Also, I presume I can't use my Dad's product key?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
No, you can't.