Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power supply

• Please log in to reply

wkd_chick

wkd_chick

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

Ok well my pc installed a couple of updates this morning and then the next time I switched it on it stayed on the screen you get before the windows screen for ages so I switched it off and back on and it did the same thing but then the next time I did it smoke started coming out of the casing above the power supply and it really smelt so I am guessing that I need a new one. I think my pc is quite powerfull as I had it built specifically for graphic design I have a list of the components inside, please can anyone help me with this as I was meant to be doing homework and handing in my assignment tomorrow but thats obviously not going to happen now but I still need to get it sorted, I think the power supply was not strong enough as previously the computer has switched itself off and I did the diagnostic checks and it said it was over heating.

Firstly I need to find out if the power supply is the right one and if not what I should be replacing it with, I hope that it is only the power supply but only time will tell on that one. Then I need to know if there is anything special I need to do when replacing it or if its just a case of taking the plugs out and putting the new ones in the same place and obviously screwing it to the casing! I have replaced a graphics card before but thats about it and don't want to break anything else so need help... please :)

Here is the parts list...

EZCool Alpine 7104 Silver Case Midi - Apple G5 Design with aPFC 400W PSU

500 GB Maxtor STM3500320AS DiamondMax 22, SATA II, 7200 rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.5 ms, NCQ

Intel Core 2 Duo, E8400, Wolfdale Core, S775, 3.0 GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB Cache, Retail

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-18

20.1" Asus VW202SR, Black, Widescreen, 5 ms, 1680x1050, 3000:1, Speakers

Optiarc/NEC AD-7200S-0S 20xDVD±R, 8xDVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, DVD-RAM x12, SATA, Silver, OEM,

Abit IP35V, iP35 Express, S 775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 1066/667/800 MHz, SATA II, ATX

512MB BFG Tech 8800GT OC, PCI-E 2.0, Mem 1800MHz GDDR3, GPU 625MHz, Streams 112, 2x DL DVI-I

Advertisements

sync0s

sync0s

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
It sounds to me like your fan on the processor probably stopped working.. hence the overheating. In that case, you may have fried your processor. Open up your case and look for any signs of burns or blown capacitors.

wkd_chick

wkd_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, I forgot to say that after the smoke came out nothing came on at all when switched on not even the light at the front of the casing so thats why I thought it would be the power supply

wkd_chick

wkd_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
can anyone please help me with this?