Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to log into XP as Administrator or user

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi All,

I've read most of the threads around this issue but not seen one which covers my predicament so thought i'd see where this gets me.

A virus removal tool looks to have deleted a rather important file and now every time I turn my pc on I'm asked to log in as my username and password (what password!). I've tried logging in as Administrator and no password but get an error message saying:

"Unable to log you in because of an account restriction"

Is there a way round this?

I've also tried using a few tools to crack the passwords using brute strength but they said no passwords were set (which i've tried for both Admin. and my username to no avail). I've also tried a Recovery Console thingy-majig but that doesn't appear to have done anything.

Am I shafted or is there a way round the weird error message?

Cheers,
tdp

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try Safe Mode, and this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290109

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
No joy. Says loading personal settings and then kicks me back out to the log in screen.

Anything else to try?

I wouldn't normally worry too much but there's some important work documents on there that I haven't backed up.

Cheers,
tdp

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I'll explain what happens a little more to see if that gives anyone an idea of what to do. I hope it helps!

In Normal mode I get to the old style logon dialogue screen and my username is already there. I don't enter a password (I know its blank from trying a couple of programs) and it looks as though its trying to log on. I can see my desktop picture at this point. After about 5 seconds a pop up appears saying saving settings and i'm back to square one.

In Safe mode I get to the same point and enter Administrator. Again no password and hit enter. The same thing happens (except no pic) i.e. looks as if its letting me in, only to kick me back out a few seconds later.

Ideas / Suggestions welcome!

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Okay so i'm trying to use the Windows Recovery Console that came pre-installed ina separate partition on my PC. I can start it running but after a few seconds I get a black screen and nothing but the cursor flashing in the top right corner. Does anyone know if this is working or not?

Also, I'm assuming i'm gonna need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall XP, does anyone know of how I can rescue the data on there??? I see some people suggesting installing it as a slave on another machine running the same OS. Does anyone have any decent (simple) instructions of how to do this??? Or does anyone know of any other tricks?

Cheers,
tdp

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
How to Slave a Hard Drive: http://www.dtidata.c...ave-hard-drive/
...or you can use HD enclosure.

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Cheers for your help Broni but I think it will just be easier to reformat and reinstall XP.

Mods - please close this topic.

Thanks,
tdp

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No problem.
Topic closed.