Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone I have been dealing with computer repairs for a while but have stumbled upon a problem. I have a computer that has to get a fresh install of windows xp and the cd that i am using only will start installing if the install was started from inside windows xp and restarted. It will not boot from the way we all know "hit any key to boot from cd" so is there a way to get to a prompt or some way to get it to run? It is a fully legit copy of windows xp but its the kind that you get with a license agreement for multiple computers. My teacher burned me a copy and when I tried it out I found out it was in iso format. So I used nero to burn the iso file. I though I did it right but I don't know. Please someone help me.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
An iso file is a bootable file if it is done right. I do not particularly like Nero. It confuses me.
Use "Burncdcc" in my signature. It is a quick and dirty little program for iso files only.

bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well it is already not an iso file and when inserted when a computer is booted up the install window comes up giving you all the options like install add and remove optional files and other stuff. But should I re burn the iso with that program.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Look at the extension on the file. If it is iso, it needs to be burned as an iso file.

I am not aware of any way to do a clean install of XP from within XP. That doesn't even make sense.
I am not even sure that you can start (a proper XP cd) from a prompt.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
More reading.

http://www.petri.co....dows_xp_pro.htm

It kooks like you can boot to the OS and then go to the proper folder to continue the install.
I am questioning if this is a truely legit copy of XP.
The proper way (always) has been to just boot from the cd.