Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Restores on Dell

• Please log in to reply

RichAnd

RichAnd

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Idk if i posted in right forum area but...
The other day i purchased an old dell laptop which was loaded with malware. After about 2 hours trying to clean it up my self i did some surfing to find out that i could just system restores it by ctrl + f11 when i boot.

I did and new the laptop is like new!!

Can a pc have a program that does this so when i do get infected I can just restore to like when i 1st installed windows? Is that how Norton ghost works? Its great not having to install all new drivers etc.

-Rich

Edited by RichAnd, 12 February 2009 - 07:26 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Norton ghost will allow you to clone your drive to the "like new" condition. It can be used when you have the OS working properly.The cloned image would only be good for the computer you cloned it on because it will clone everything on the drive including the board drivers.
In other words if you replaced the main board, the clone would most likely not work due to board driver conflicts.

System restore has been on computers since (I believe) 98se. Although more difficult to use on the early versions.
Restore was mainly a way to "go back" to a known good point if a software/ driver install went bonkers.
Going back due to malware/ virus is difficult because the stuff can hide in the restore points that the system will automatically make. So you could very well be restoring with some malware/ virus.

RichAnd

RichAnd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
ok i see.

Is there a program that mimics what dell pcs do? That i can install on maybe a custom bulit pc?

-Rich

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
How to Create Windows Recovery Partition: http://readerszone.c...-partition.html