Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

98 Outcasted? Say it isn't so =(

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Help :)

I managed to get AVAST! and OmniQuad Firewall onto the system via CD lol I just put the files on the cd then open up the cd drive in MY Computer and copy the files over to MY Documents. The floppy drives I have aren't big enough to hold either of those and as you know, my usb drives don't recognize my flash drive/jump drive.

After a ruthless battle, I got the ethernet driver installed and is recognized in the device manager without any yellow or red flags. Apparently it had a resource conflict with the dial up card. :)

I click on Internet Explorer and it says it can't find the page. I did the set up connection thing in Internet Options, but nothing worked.

Also, somewhere in the middle of all this when the computer boots up, it gives erros like vsd... and another ending in netsup... There are three all together. I have to hit any key to continue. Also, when the desktop screen comes up, there is another error saying the dynamic link library could not be found. Then gives a file name of msnp.dll something or other. =|

I can get exact file names missing and what it says...just had to walk away for a second :)

I was going to all kinds of sites for these drivers...who knows if any of them were legit. A couple times I downloaded drivers that had 0 bytes...that kind of worries me. The computer I used to do this is working ok for now LOL

Some info for you...this was a fresh install of Windows 98, and I have the CD.

Also, is there any trusted driver databases (FREE) that have drivers for various PCI cards. This is not the first time I have been all over the net trying to find a driver. Usually seems to be a wild goose chase, very frustrating. I Love how Windows XP just recognizes and does all this for you
I have heard about www.pcidatabase.com, but in Windows 98, I can't find the information I need that pcidatabase asks for.

Thanks,

Edited by Ferrari, 15 February 2009 - 02:14 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Can you make a list of the errors and the files not being found? I think that, because you did a fresh install, there are some drivers and other stuff that may have to be installed. There's a possbility some old stuff is still available on the manufacturer's site for your computer. Worth checking out.

The USB hardware must be 2.0 or it will not recognize the 2.0 USB devices although I think I did use 2.0 devices on a 1.1 board. Win 98SE had all the USB drivers needed. At least they were a lot better than the first version of Win 98.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Okay, here is the errors and files not found. Keep in mind, everything ran very smooth until installed the Avast AV, Omniguard Firewall, and the several attempts at the NIC card drivers.

Another thing, my screen on 2 different monitors I have tried, is too big. It cuts off some of what is on the left so these error file names may only be the last letters. I believe they may be missing the first one or two letters. If I adjust the screen manually on the monitor, it just moves everything still being cut off. So I dont know whats going on there.

In order,

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application (is above every error)

...netsup.vxd

...edir.vxd

...s.vxd

Once the desktop starts to come up I get...

Windows Networking error Box shows up

It says msnp32.dll The system cannot find the file specified

Some or all of the following feature is not availabe...

Microsoft Network

Can a system restore fix this? Will that take away my driver for the LAN card? If so, I think I know what driver will work and I would think everything would go ok because I don't have the dial up card in there anymore. Its when I took that out, is when the driver worked for the LAN card. But then restarted, and all those errors started.

Let me know and thank you.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I don't want to depend on my memory on a lot of this, so I am gonna ask for others to take a look. The oversized screen should be able to be resized. See - Changing Screen Resolution in Windows 98 Win 98 may need updated drivers for your monitor to change resolution, but try the info first.

Post back once you can read the full names, ok?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I can't resize the resolution. It will not let me move the bar. It is at the very lowest it goes at 640 X 800. Again, won't let me move the bar at all.

Here is an image of my so called firewall and an image of the error once the desktop comes. That's all I got for now...any techs no how for me to get to see the entire screen? I've tried reinstalling the drivers...it says the best ones it could find are on there, etc etc.

Another thing, the settins only have options for 16 colors and 2 colors? Is Windows 98 supposed to be 32?

Also, is there a system restore option in 98? I couldn't find one by going to start, programs, accessories. That might do the trick. I believe I can reinstall the driver without much hassle this time now that the dial up card is out and I know which driver to use.

UPDATE: I have went to gateway.com. There is a BIOS Update, a shutdown patch and an additional shut down patch, a monitor driver(seems to be only for gateway monitors, not sure) and a video driver for an ATI 128 etc. I don't know if any of that will help. There are also other updates or drivers, but they seem to not apply to this situation or to me at all.

Here is the link Gateway 450 98 Second Edition I had to enter my serial number in to get to that part, so I don't know if the link works for you or not.

EDIT...I don't know how to shrink the image so its not over 100K. Sorry guys,

Thanks,

Edited by Ferrari, 18 February 2009 - 04:16 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You don't want to go to a lower monitor resolution. If you have the latestest driver for your monitor, set the resolution for the higjest one allowed. That will definitely shrink everything. You may have to make other minor adjustments through the Desktop Properties for the system's appearance.

There is no Restore option for Win 98. Sorry. Can not use the link. :)

Try to download and install all the latest drivers for your video card, monitor, network card and sound card. Reinstalling an operating system usually removes the previously installed drivers unless they were originally provided solely by the same OS. Best to always maintain latest drivers. Might want to download and run Everest Home if you want detailed info on your system.

You can use these free online utilities to shrink images:

http://tools.dynamic...imageoptimizer/
http://www.resize2mail.com/
http://makeathumbnail.com/
http://quickthumbnail.com/
http://thumber.bigplain.com/
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Thought about buying and installing Win XP? System requirements for Windows XP operating systems

Edited by Major Payne, 19 February 2009 - 02:07 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hate to butt in
Step 1
Remove the programs you just loaded after the reinstall - Avast, Omniquad etc Reboot.
Is everything ok now? If not.
1. Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu. If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.
2. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command, and then press ENTER. Where windows is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.
3. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER.
4. Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.
5. When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

Then go to device manager and see what has a yellow or red mark against it.
Is the network card the original one that came with the computer?
Do you have any gateway cd's
How was your screen resolution after you did the 98 reinstall. Ok or like now.
Step 2 will be to get all devices that are original, Monitor network etc working. (was your network working before)
Step 3 will be to give you an anti virus that works with 98 . You do not need a firewall (In my opion)
Step 4 will be to give you USB jump drive access. (works with all mine so far)

I can not see any reason to get rid of 98. Once you have the current updates you should be fine.
Can you give a more detailed model number ? gateway made more then 1 version of the 450

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 20 February 2009 - 08:22 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Sorry for the delay...been busy. Here is the results and info you requested.

Remove the programs you just loaded after the reinstall - Avast, Omniquad etc Reboot.
Is everything ok now? If not.

No, the computer doesn't start with any of the previous errors, so thats good. But, now it comes to a black screen right after the Gateway logo when a green bar loads and it has a similar error that ends with acket.vxd. That is the only error which is a brand new error. All the others are gone. That was all after the registry restore. Also, the omniquad firewall and omniquad total security is back in the add/remove programs list after I had uninstalled it.

When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

I restored it to the earliest registry, because I hadn't done anything to it except what we have talked about in this topic.

Is the network card the original one that came with the computer?
Do you have any gateway cd's

The network card is not original, the only one it came with was the dial up card.
And, I only have the original windows 98 cd, not any gateway cds.

How was your screen resolution after you did the 98 reinstall.

The same as before.

Then go to device manager and see what has a yellow or red mark against it.

There is a pci ethernet controller and a mulitmedia audio controller with a yellow question mark and exclamation point.

Can you give a more detailed model number ? gateway made more then 1 version of the 450

The model number is tbr3 450 p lll I know it as a Gateway Essential 450. Hope that all helps and let me know.

Thanks,

Edited by Ferrari, 22 February 2009 - 04:00 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok so Ominiquad is still on your computer. Does it have it's own uninstall or only via add remove programs?
We need to get rid of this 1st.

When you had the computer running after Broni helped you did you make a backup ?
Yor answer on the screen tells me nothing. is it ok now?

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 27 February 2009 - 03:21 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
:)

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Peterm,

I am so sorry.

I just ran downstairs and had a thought...maybe I just need to try uninstalling Omniquad again. It worked!!!

The computer boots up with no errors whatsoever!

So, it is fine in that regards now.

To answer your question about when Broni helped me, we did not make a back up. And as far as I know the dial up card was working before, but I did not have it connected to the internet since we bought a new computer several years ago. I pulled this out of storage to tinker with now that I have gotten into computers recently.

I believe the next step you had mentioned is to get the devices working. Currently these are the problems

1. Screen is still too large and can't see the last centimeter or so. Drivers?
2. PCI Ethernet Controller has a yellow question mark and exclamation point next to it in the device manager.
3. PCI Multimedia Sound Controller has a yellow question mark and exclamation point next to it in the device manager.

Let me know...and I apologize for the long absence.

Edited by Ferrari, 27 February 2009 - 03:44 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Not a prob
Lets try this Unknown device Identifier
Download and install then when it runs click on detect.
If you are using the onboard video we need the graphic driver from Gateway.
1st lets see what the device finder comes up with.
Cheers
Peterm

1. Screen is still too large and can't see the last centimeter or so. Drivers?

What screen size & colour options do you have

Edited by peterm, 27 February 2009 - 04:36 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Peterm,

I have installed it on the computer, but when I double click on the icon nothing happens. I uninstalled and tried again, nothing worked. I went to a mirror site that I trust and downloaded from there and installed it, still nothing.

Is something wrong with the computer? I'm not sure what to do. The program just wont open.

Let me know and thanks,

P.S. This is a PCI video card, there is no onboard video.

EDIT: I installed it and ran it on my laptop, everything went fine...must be the computer. ???

Edited by Ferrari, 27 February 2009 - 05:03 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
hmmm
it says it works on 98 will try on mine - do you know the make and model of the video card

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Try this. If this does not help then we will try via device id
Click on me
Cheers
peterm