Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What free Email program is good?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I have Outlook that came with my computer and I like it very much. However, my girlfriend does not want to spend the money on it. She uses openoffice for her documents and spreads, but she really would like an email program that sends/receives automatically like Outlook does and It also alerts you with sound when you get an email.

I have done some research and Thunderbird and Eudora look ok, but with out using it, I don't know if is has the preferences mentioned above. The ideal program would have send/receive automatically, alert you when one is received with sound, and a calendar would be cool, but not a necessity.

Edit: Eudora's free version doesn't come with everything, but I don't know what?

Here is a link to programs I found when I searched...HERE

And she isn't real computer literate either...so the easier it is to use the better.

Thanks and I look forward to your response,

Edited by Ferrari, 12 February 2009 - 07:48 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I like IncrediMail, but Thunderbird is good, too.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
+1 for TBird.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I think the women like IncrediMail more because of all the nice Smilies, letter styles, animations, eCards, etc., that are available for use. Guys go for TBird. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The more and more I think about it I like Thunderbird better. I'll see what she says...I think she might like all that 3d stuff or whatever with incredimail LOL. =) I think that's all I needed...a little push. Plus I like Firefox(Mozilla).

Edit: I said all that before I noticed Ron's second reply LOL.
I see what you mean.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Ferrari, 12 February 2009 - 08:37 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
To clarify, which one has better security? She's had her computer in the shop twice now, once viruses and the other Malware, all in 1month. She has a teenage daughter, so welcome myspace, limewire, etc.

LOL

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Guys go for TBird

I'm glad, I checked out OK :).

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you have good security programs installed, and updated, you shouldn't worry about running any legit program.
There are some exceptions, let's say, IE is less secure, than Firefox, because of ActiveX issues, but not in this case.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

To clarify, which one has better security?

You might of missed this due to yours and my fast replying.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
As yo can see, I was fast enough...LOOOOOOL

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Thunderbird does not come with a calendar program initially but you can get a really good one as an extension - the Lightning extension:
http://www.mozilla.o...ndar/lightning/ and then there's the Webmail suite of extensions to add Hotmail support to Thunderbird - http://webmail.mozdev.org/ - which turns it effectively into an open-source version of Outlook which is free.

Plus there are lots of extensions available for Thunderbird too that do various things. In it's default state it looks a lot like Outlook Express which itself is a cut-down version of Outlook anyway.

Edited by Neil Jones, 13 February 2009 - 04:28 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I will give all that a try for sure! Thanks,

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I vote for Thunderbird.
If it matters to her, you CAN do actual smilies and animations.
You're not limited to the lame things that come with it that only show in other mozilla programs.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I finally got around to installing thunderbird for my girlfriend. I added the calendar extension and the webmail and hotmail extension so she could continue to use her hotmail account. (Didn't have to change to her ISP account). Everything went smooth.

I also set the account settings to keep the mail on her hotmail online account. Everything is working fantanstic! ...so far :)

Thanks so much guys...and this also led me to find out how I can use Outlook with hotmail which I had thought wasn't possible. Thanks!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
We're glad, you're happy :)
Not to mention your girlfriend :)