Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to logon to Windows 2000NT

• Please log in to reply

frazzledrn

frazzledrn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Logon message: The system cound not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case. Make sure that Caps Lock is not accidentally on.
I am a computer illiterate Grandmother. In 2002 I received an error message that my resources were "critically low" I took that to mean my hard drive was about to crash (Windows 98). I installed another hard drive to "save it" but not knowing what I was doing when I was asked if I wanted to reformat my hard drive I said "yes" everything was lost including pictures of my Grandson's first 3 years. I installed Windows 2000NT in the new hard drive and all was well until a few months ago. Now the error message. This is my sewing room computer with several purchased machine knitting programs on it. I really want to save this poor old wretch. I do have an hp pavilion and a Gateway laptop, both with Windows XP. Is my old friend worth trying to save? (I also replaced the CD drive and added memory at the time I installed the hard drive.) Thank you for any help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
http://www.kellys-ko..._wel_screen.htm

The Log On to Windows dialog box may be displayed with incorrect credentials after the Autologon feature had been unsuccessful, and you received the following error message:

The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case.

This problem can occur because the Autologon feature is attempting an automatic logon for a user account that does not exist. Either the account has been deleted or removed, but the registry settings for that account are still intact.

To work around the problem that concerns the hidden Administrator Logon dialog box, press ALT+TAB to bring the dialog box to the front of the screen so that you can log on to the computer with valid credentials.

To work around the other problem, remove or update the appropriate registry key if the Autologon feature is required for an existing account. If you do not need or you do not want the Autologon feature, change the setting of the Autologon feature so that Autologon=0.

The symptoms that are described in this article may occur if the following conditions are true:

- The AutoAdminLogon feature is enabled for an administrator account.

- The account for which the AutoAdminLogon feature is set, is either deleted or does not exist, but the registry settings for the Autologon feature for that account are still in the registry. The symptoms occur whenever you delete an account for which the Autologon feature is set.

The registry and its settings are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

DefaultDomainName (REG_SZ) : <Computer name>
DefaultUserName (REG_SZ): <User name (admin)>
DefaultPassword (REG_SZ): <Password>
AutoAdminLogon (REG_SZ): 1
AutoLogonCount (REG_DWORD) : any value greater than one (1)

frazzledrn

frazzledrn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
obviously I did not "Carpe Diem" because I am still experiencing this Feburary 12, @009 problem...unable to log on to Windows 2000NT also my CD drive is not operating. safe mode and use last good configuration do not work--do you think I should just pack it up and forget it?