Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

another "can't logon" problem

• Please log in to reply

mondays

mondays

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Today our computer refused to logon, just loops back to the logon screen. Yesterday AVG found a trojan virus and supposedly removed it.
I followed the tutorial instructions, but when I came to the restore/repair options it said both were so corrupted they would need to be reformatted. I really, really want to avoid doing that because I just got it set up after reformatting two months ago and I have files not backed up...
I exited the blue screen and it restarted the computer and this message popped up:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

So, I'm 100% lost as to what my options are now. Do I need to take it in to a pro so I can save my files or is there hope that a computer moron like me can recover from this with some help?

Any help is much appreciated!

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello mondays and welcome to Geeks To Go

The error message you have recieved is quite simple to fix and a format can be avoided. The first option is to do what I call a manual system restore. Please see this post by wannabe1.

The seccond option is to do a full repair installation of the operating system. (Please note this is not a format and avoid the command line repair. I use that option for minor things.) Please see this topic for more information. If you get asked to create any new accounts don't. I have seen it asking for a user to do this (not much these days) but if it does just skip that step. (I think you said you have already done this but do it again since you tried the restore above)

If after the repair you still get the blue screen you will need to provide us with the error you are getting and we will be able to troubleshoot from there.

mondays

mondays

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried your first suggestion from wannabe1 and can get to the recovery console and I choose an installation okay and type in cd \ and get there fine but when I put in cd system~1\_resto~1 I get this:
the system cannot find the file or directory specified.

I tried the next suggestion in the thread of cd window\system32\config and get the same error.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello mondays.

When you type in cd system~1\_resto~1 make sure it is exactly as it is there, I believe from when I last did in the recovery console you use the shift key and key next to the number 1 (to the left) on the top row of number keys.

Please have another try and keep us updated with the progress, also please don't try and skip from one command to another.

Regards

mondays

mondays

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried again and am positive I entered it correctly - no luck, the same error is showing up.

thanks, m

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Lets try the next step and leave the restore out.

Next is to do a full repair installation of the operating system. (Please note this is not a format) Please see this topic for more information. If you get asked to create any new accounts don't. I have seen it asking for a user to do this (not much these days) but if it does just skip that step.

If after the repair you still get the blue screen you will need to provide us with the error you are getting and we will be able to troubleshoot from there. If everything fails which I hope does not happen then we may need to format but I will try and avoid that at all costs.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 14 February 2009 - 11:37 AM.

mondays

mondays

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I started out trying this and it said the partition was too corrupted and it would have to reformat and I'd lose my files (not sure of the exact wording, this try was 2 days ago) I will try again and post the exact message...

thanks again for all the help!

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Ouch then it maybe a format which you may need. (Please retry the repair)

If you have data to backup I reccomend that you take the hard drive out of the Desktop/Laptop and attach this to another computer and retreive your data that way. If you use a version of Linux to retrieve your data it may not see the installation meaning you may not be able to retrieve data.

I know you have said you have tried some tutorials, have you tried this tutorial? If you need to format please read this tutorial here and this will take you through the process.

Regards

mondays

mondays

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
There are two options -
H: Partition 1 (RECOVERY) [FAT32] 4495 MB ( 1420 free)
C: Partition 2 [unknown] 233978 MB (233977 free)

H: is the CD drive, I believe. C: is the harddrive

When I select C: and hit enter it says:
The partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted, or formatted with an incompatible file system. To continue installing Windows, Setup must format this partition.
C: Partition2 [unknown] 233987 MB (233977 free)
on 131070 MB disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR].
CAUTION: Formatting will delete any files on this partition.

If I select the H: Partition1 option it says:
Drive C is unformatted, damaged, or formatted with a file system that is incompatible with Windows XP. To continue installing Windows, Setup must format this drive.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Seems like a very bad corruption on the hard drive as you should be able to do a repair

H: Partition 1 (RECOVERY) [FAT32] 4495 MB ( 1420 free)

This partition will most likely be a different partition on the hard drive and not the cd/dvd drive as the default for the cd/dvd drive will be D:\
Out of interest did you try this tutorial here?

Regards

mondays

mondays

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did try the tutorial you linked (hal.dll) and after entering bootcfg /rebuild got this message:
Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt system file, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.
Chkdsk reports no errors. I had it scan even tho it said it was okay and it didn't show any errors.

The second part of the tut (enter expand D:...etc....) results in "there is no floppy disk or CD in the drive." Tried it with E: in case that is the cd drive (we have 2 and I get them mixed up) and it said the same thing.

Looks like a reformat is necessary?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

Unfortuantly its looking like a format and re-install which I don't want to do but it looks like the only solution that will fix this problem, however I shall try the command line repair option to see if that fixes your issue. To perform a command line repair you will need your installtion cd to hand.

Please load into the recovery console and type in the command below and press enter and see if this will perform the repair.

chkdsk /r
If this does not work then I would advise a format in this situation. Please see this topic for instructions on how to format if you are unsure. If you can try and get your hard drive to another computer and attach this by usb and see if you can retrieve any of your documents. You should do this before you format.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 14 February 2009 - 03:09 PM.

mondays

mondays

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
okay I will do that. thanks for helping me try to find another way. Is there a link that will give me directions on how to get my hard drive to another computer with a USB cord? I would like to try that before I format.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Is your computer a desktop or a laptop? as you will need the correct enclosure. You will need to obtain either a 3.5" enclosure (for a desktop) or a 2.5" enclosure (for a laptop) and put your hard drive into that and then this will be like a usb hard drive :) which then can be connected to another computer and attempt to recover data.

These are easily available on the internet and retail shops.

I would like to thank you for your paitents and I hope you can get your data.

Regards