Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clock Resetting To 00:01 Nov 2003

• Please log in to reply

Goldie106

Goldie106

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi There I hope some one can help. I M Having a problem with my lapto clock. Every time i turn the laptop of & on, the clock resets to 00:01 Nov 2003. I though it my cmos battery was the problem but i have changed that & put a new one but I am still having the problem. It is a fujitsu amilo running Xp Home SP3 with XP200 Amd, & 1GB Ram. Please Help

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Goldie106

The main cause for a computer to lose time is a weak or dead CMOS battery on the motherboard.

The purpose of the CMOS battery is to keep the BIOS settings such as time, date, and hard drive parameters alive when the computer is powered down

are you sure the battery is fitted correctly ??? and the battery is in good condition ...

Secondly , Have you checked your time zone setting ? , make sure it is set to the time zone you are in or it will simply automatically reset itself when the computer is turned off...

Good luck
&
Happy Computing!!!

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 13 February 2009 - 07:38 AM.

Goldie106

Goldie106

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi mate cheers for the reply. I have checked zone settings they are fine. The battery I put in is brand new. I Dont have a laptop battery in i ve got it plugged into the main at all times. would this make any difference

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Being on AC power versus battery should not make a differance.

I know you said the battery is new, BUT, does it have the proper voltage (it could have been an old 1 they gave you). Hopefully not though.

Also, as asked already, is it installed properly?

If all that is correct, I suspect that you have a bad mother board, or something is draining it fast (such as a bad mother board),

Goldie106

Goldie106

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The battery is new i got sealed in a pack. I ve chcked that its installed properly. Any other suggestions

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Goldie106

As asked by 123Runner: "does it have the proper voltage " ???

Anthony19

If the batt is inserted/fitted correctly and the right voltage is obtained , i would be leaning toward a defective MOBO... also stated by 123Runner

Goldie106

Goldie106

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yeah the voltage is the same i checked it before i brought it. How can i check for sure if its the mobo