Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox, IE6 not working right

• Please log in to reply

D. K. Smith

D. K. Smith

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
So I moved to Scotland for a semester, was forced to download their campusnet thing, and am having a slew of problems... First I had a virus because I'm convinced the campus is evil, and now I have issues with all of my browsers.

Firefox works for many pages, but for things like email and certain pages the layout is messed up. It's all text, no pictures. When I try to read my hotmail email there is a small jumble of text in the upper left corner of the screen that sort of looks like email titles. Some other websites, like small art ones, I'm not allowed to leave comments or edit some things.

I try to open it up in IE. I have IE6 because I haven't used it in forever, so I try to get IE7 and it won't download. And in IE (and I can't even explain this) sometimes when I click on something it automatically opens in Firefox. For instance, if I type in a URL into the top bar and press 'enter' it tried to open in Firefox.

Please ask me questions to clarify anything... it's hard to describe on my end. But I use you guys for everything, so hopefully you can help. I hope I don't have to reinstall Firefox... :)

I'm using the latest version of Firefox 3.0.6 and am working with a Windows XP that is up to date.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello D. K. Smith

There Quote: " campusnet thing " , may be restricting / blocking you...

"Firefox works for many pages, but for things like email and certain pages the layout is messed up. It's all text "
No Scripts alloud...

automatically opens in Firefox , set as default browser maybe ???

" so I try to get IE7 and it won't download " & "I'm not allowed to leave comments or edit some things "
Leads me to Belive more than likely you are being blocked access...

Not a hardware issue... ( computer is fine ) , not software ( programs loading ok ) and not a connection issue( Able to view websites )...

If you are not being blocked by the campus , i have no idea lol

Sorry mate , Hopefully someone will come to the rescue ( But i cannot assist you in by-passing their security , that is against the TOU ( Terms of Use ) )

Anthony19

PS: Unless it virus related issue "First I had a virus because I'm convinced the campus is evil " , i am not sure sorry...

Edited by Anthony19, 13 February 2009 - 08:50 AM.

D. K. Smith

D. K. Smith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Aw, well, thank you! Those are useful suggestions, I shall look into it.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello D. K. Smith

All i could suggest is to head over to the malware forum and get checked out...

Start here: http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Work Through step by step , from top to bottom

Than create a new topic : http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

And post all logs/results required

Good luck !!!

Anthony19

PS: Don't forget to give them a link to this topic , so the staff know the situation...
LINK to this topic: http://www.geekstogo...ht-t228846.html
Thank you for your co-operation