Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mixing DDR2 667 and 800 on Gateway

• Please log in to reply

Poliwog

Poliwog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Quick story. Bought refurb Gateway DX4200-UB001A. Supposed to have 2x2GB and 2x1GB RAM chips--PC5300 DDR2 667. Was missing one 1GB stick. Dealer got supplier to send missing stick. What arrived was a 2GB PC6400 DDR2 800.
When I installed it, the computer would not boot. When I removed it, all was well, but BIOS returned a message 'Testing Failed on last boot. Reverting to slower memory speed.' Ran fine after instructing it to continue boot.

Is there a way to use the RAM they sent? It is like pulling teeth--from a rhinoceros--to deal with the fulfillment house (Seneca Data)

TIA
Les

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This computer was brand new seven months old. It had been available at Amazon brand new since July last year and Gateway offer 12 months on it. May I ask how come you've ended up with it refurbished please? I'm not insinuating anything about this computer, by the way.

Poliwog

Poliwog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Because it was $300 cheaper that way. Other than the missing chip, the machine works perfectly.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try the new module on it's own only.
It may be faulty, if so send it back, or find another computer (friends maybe?) that takes the same type of memory and see if it works in there.