Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you have a copy of emails in your ISP mailbox?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to keep a copy of my emails in my AT&T email after Outlooks takes them off of there. I looked around on AT&T and on Outlook, but I couldn't find anywhere that would let me do this.

The reason for this is because I would like to check my email on my AT&T inbox, if I leave my computer running with outlook open, from another computer, i.e. at a friends house.

If you can't do this, then do I have to close outlook every time I leave the house?

Thanks,

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You can do it. I"m not sure what version of Outlook you have - my instructions are from Office 2007, but it's in the same area in older versions.

Go to Tools > Account Settings (or Accounts). Select the email account that you want to change. Select More Settings, then click on the Advanced tab. Under Delivery, check the box next to Leave a copy of messages on the server, and then select how many days you'd like to do this (I wouldn't set this too high, as some ISPs have limits on how much space you use in your webmail). I'd also check the box that reads Remove from the server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'. Close and reopen Outlook - it doesn't always like to save settings unless you do that, so I do that as a matter of course after changing something.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks, I did it...that's exactly what I needed.

I believe the directions you gave were correct for my Outlook 2003 ...FYI.

My girlfriend is going to be using Thunderbird as long as she can do the same thing that you just showed me. Is that possible with Thunderbird also?

Thanks a lot!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I can't answer about Thunderbird because I don't have it. I would assume they have this feature somewhere though.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I assumed that. That's why I asked because I am lazy and don't want to have to download it, install it, only to find out you can't =). I'll give it a try soon, I will try to reply with directions if it can be done so you will then know. :)

Thanks,

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
In Thunderbird it's Tools>Account Settings. Click Server Settings in the left pane and make the desired settings in the right pane. If you have more than one account, do that for each one. OK when done to save the settings.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Thanks, Throoper. :)