Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

loud tv commercials

• Please log in to reply

normonster

normonster

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
We have a very new TV, a Samsung 53 inch that has it's own audio capabilities but we cannot find a way to eliminate the extremely loud commercials when they come on. I have a Fisher amp/tuner with surround ( rs-6360 that will do about anything. It a few years old but quite capable. I still haven't found a way to keep the commercials from blaring us out of the house.

Any help here would be appreciated. This is causing severe problems. I'm a writer and my office/nook is in the path of the sound. I won't go into details but how can I connect the system so it limits the sound to a steady level?

normonster

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got this issue too...just through the TV not through any amps etc... it's an issue with the signal from the cable company (not an issue as in something is broken)....THEY are sending the signal with a higher than average volume....we also have some channels that are so low you have to crank the volume to max on the TV to hear them (and subsequently remember to lower it before changing the channel)....my only solution is to keep a finger on the mute button on the remote at all times

IN THEORY you could use some guitar/musical equipment to do this though...such as a compressor or a limiter....the article below suggest using a limiter since it will only effect the top end volume

http://www.halfbaker...TV_20Normalizer

limiter info http://www.mediacoll...essing/limiter/
compressor info http://www.mediacoll...ng/compression/

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hehe, I use to joke about, that if we won't see them, we sure as 'bleep' have to hear them :)

yorkey.sa

yorkey.sa

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I hate loud commercials, because normally whatever you're watching isn't loud enough so you crank up the volume a bit more, so whenever the commercials come it's a scramble to find the remote. :)

normonster

normonster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks folks. I was able to go into the TV menu and find one where it leveled the sound to a consistent level. From what I was reading in the manual there are a few other ways to go. I'm pretty pumped about what I read because even though I liek what I have now I see some toher ways to work thinsg that will be helpful. I was about to take "dsenette's" advice and go scam some of my old guitar equipment from my grandkids. I had an old Pro Compressor stomp box that probably would have done it. They've been trying to scam my ring modulator from me but I wasn't about to spend my visits listening to that through the Big Muff I gave them awhile back.. I knew I'd regret it. Anyway...now I don;t need to. Thanks for the idea prod.
normonster

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I'm not sure how true this is, but I was once told by a sales person that commercials are actually broadcast intentionally with a higher signal so that is louder because most people move around during commercials like to the kitchen for food or snacks, bathroom etc..etc.. and they want to make sure you hear the commercial if you can't see it. :)

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

I'm not sure how true this is, but I was once told by a sales person that commercials are actually broadcast intentionally with a higher signal so that is louder because most people move around during commercials like to the kitchen for food or snacks, bathroom etc..etc.. and they want to make sure you hear the commercial if you can't see it. :)

This is what I always understood it to be.

It really aggravates me too :)