Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

downloaded files keep getting erased after laptop shuts down

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop gateway is microsoft xp, i bought it refurbished. Everytime i download a program ex:adobe,itunes or save my files whenever i shut down the computer and restart it for next time the files/programs will be gone.How do i stop this? Is there something i have to change under control panel?

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Hi vgla and Welcome! to Geeks-to-Go.

Very odd. My first thought was that the files were being saved to a 'funny' location and you just could not find them. Do you mean to say that if you 'save' to the Desktop the 'saved' files are gone after a reboot?

If so, all I can think is that there is some program like Returnil or Deep Freeze active that returns the system to a 'set' state upon reboot.