Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A way to separate internet connections?

• Please log in to reply

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
My brother and I share the same internet and he ALWAYS has limewire on and watches on a streaming video player (one that consists of a ton of channels) program.

This makes my internet go REALLY slow and I'm wondering if there is any way to avoid this problem?
Is there a way that can make it so his internet usage doesn't slow down my internet usage?
Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Not for free. You'd have to create new account with your ISP, and get separate modem.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
As Broni said, there's no way to separate your connection. However, certain router's do provide bandwidth limiting measures; you would need to consult your router's manual. Also, QoS is another way to control bandwidth usage, although I don't have a comprehensive knowledge of the subject, so I'm afraid you'd have to look into it on your own.

The most effective solution, in your case, would involve you taking a hammer and repeatedly swinging it at your brother's computer :) There are steps he can take to stop his P2P software from hogging all of your bandwidth, but whether he's going to be willing to do that is a different story.

QoS would allow you to set priority for your packets, which would give you a smoother connection (but slowing his down); you can actually configure it so that it's 50/50, which seems fair to me. With that said, I only have a very basic knowledge of QoS, so I could very well be wrong.

- Dan