Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my wireless signal is not constant

• Please log in to reply

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have a problem with my wireless,the small icon with a monitor screen that flashes when u are receiving connection right?Well when i surf the net on any website the icon flashes on and off.Like when i update something it flashes on and off,when its on the downloads the files when its off it stops.Can anyone help me with this problem?PLS and TQ

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Just because the icon is not 'flashing' does not mean that the signal has dropped. A 'mouse-over' the icon should bring up a balloon message about the connection, and right clicking the icon and choosing "Status" will give more information.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
i checked the status.the sent received keeps blinking on and off i didnt have this problem before

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Are you getting the famous "404" messages when you try to connect to a web page- "Page not found?"

If so, does a reboot 'fix' the problem?

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
no i can connect but its not constant.Its like on and off,when its off it get stuck loading when its on it loads.

Edited by LordOblivion, 18 February 2009 - 08:16 AM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
It may be that your signal strength is low. If so, it is possible to get a hardware 'booster' that will plug into your USB port.

Another reason is that the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration Service 'refreshes' the connection every so often. To stop this behavior turn the Service 'off' after the connection has been made. Remember to turn it back on to 'repair' or reconnect, and don't forget to turn it back on before power-down. That way it will connect automatically at boot.

To create 'shortcuts' to turn the service on and off, open first set the Service to a Manual auto-start configuration.

Then open Notepad, and to turn it off paste this:
net stop WZCSVC
"Save" the file to the Desktop with the name StopWirelessZero.bat
(or anything that makes sense to you as long as you use the .bat extension) Just double click the .bat file to turn it off.

To start the service paste this into Notepad and save as WirelessZeroStart.bat net start WZCSVC
Double click it to turn it back on.

This is kind of a hassle- starting and stopping the service manually, but many folks report that turning the service off after the connection has been made results in an end to the periodic loss of connectivity.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
lol im just 17 years old i don really understand.how to reach to the windows wireless zero configuration service?can u tell me step by step pls.

Edited by LordOblivion, 19 February 2009 - 06:49 AM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
To access Services open a Run box and type services.msc
Scroll down to the bottom of the list to find Wireless Zero Configuration.
Double click the name to bring up the Properties dialog.

In the center of the dialog box please find the small window that contains the startup setting. It is likely to be set at "Automatic." If not, in your case I think that you should make it so- Automatic. That way each time you reboot, the service will come on and you will connect to the wireless signal.

Then make the 2 batch files. One to start the service if for some reason the signal is lost and you don't want to reboot, and one to stop the service after you are connected, so it will not keep trying to find a 'better' signal.

Often when someone discovers Services there is a temptation to modify the settings. Please resist it. Early on I made so much trouble for myself that way. The default settings are usually just fine. To learn more about Services and to determine your own needs, compare and contrast the information found on these 2 sites:

Black Viper-
http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm
(For Service Pack 2 use: http://www.blackvipe...servicecfg.htm)

Elder Geek-
http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm

Remember Doc's second commandment of computing- "Thou shalt make no changes to thy system without confident knowledge." In other words- When in doubt-Don't!

(Doc's first comandment is "Thou shalt keep no important data on the same partition as Windows.")

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
take a look at this.

Attached Files

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Looks like it's working normally.

Advertisements

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
yes it works normally.Oh yeah about the zero configuration thing.ok i created 2 bat files,but look on top u said manual auto start or automatic?which one?When i click stopwirelesszero nothing happens.I have to startwirelesszero only i could stop it.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
If Zero Config is set to Manual, you will need to start it to get a connection. If set to Automatic, it will start and connect at boot. Then running the "Stop" batch file will stop it for the rest of your session.

If for some reason you do need to reconnect, it will be necessary to start it with the "Start" batch file.

When you say "nothing happens," does that mean you do not get a brief black 'command' box? If so, the files are not properly written, or they are not properly named.

They must be written as given, and named Whateveryoulike dot bat.

Mine are: Wireless.bat and OffWireless.bat

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
why is it so weird.When i startzeroconfig,my wireless connectivity stops it turns red instead of green.When i stop the zeroconfig thing it turns back to green.

Edited by LordOblivion, 21 February 2009 - 01:30 AM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
OK. Now I think I understand. You have a dedicated third-party(not Windows) connectivity client. Intel pro wireless, Linksys, something like that, yes?

If so, turning on the Windows service switches the connectivity to Windows and away from that software. Turning it off lets the third-party software handle the connection.

You must choose which method you want to use. Since you have been having trouble with your connection, I suggest that you let Windows do it for a while.

Remove the third-party application from the auto-start list with your startup control manager.
(WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/)

You will lose you current wireless icon in the tray.

Open the "Network Connections" folder from the Start Menu and right click the Wireless entry to choose Properties. Mark the 2 small boxes at the bottom to show the icon and give messages. Then open the "Wireless Networks" tab and mark the box at the top to make Windows your manager.

Leave the Wirless Zero Service set to automatic, and your wireless connection will be established at boot.

If you find that the connection drops, repair the connection by right clicking the icon and choosing "Repair" and then stop the Service.

Stopping the Wireless Zero Configuration Service is a method to use only after Windows has established the connection and when the periodic search for 'better' signal causes problems. Sometimes it does not and nothing needs be done.

If you get no better function from Windows than you did before, then the issue is likely one of signal strength or the reliability of the access point.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
my modem is 3com i don have to use my ralink usb to use wireless?