Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Drive A and slave HDD icon in My Computer

• Please log in to reply

madwdpcbrkdwn

madwdpcbrkdwn

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
hello! I have an Acer Pentium II 350MHz running in Windows 98. But I haven't used this machine for quite some time, about 3 years. Then, when I open it up now, Drive A and my second HDD didn't show up in My Computer.

BIOS detected the HDD but not the Floppy drive. And both wouldn't show up in My Computer. Although in Device Manager, HDD is in there.

Can anybody tell me how to make my Floppy drive and second HDD show up again?

Advertisements

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Typically, a PC has an internal battery that powers the cmos chip that preserves the bios information when a pc is shutdown. It wouldn't be surprising that the battery is dead after three years of inactivity. Leaving the laptop plugged in for a time will recharge that battery if it will still take a charge. Repeated rebooting sometimes helps the bios remember what components it is supposed to find when powered up.

madwdpcbrkdwn

madwdpcbrkdwn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
thanks for the advice. I've changed my CMOS battery. and yes. my floppy drive icon appeared. However, my HDD slave icon still won't show up.

I checked using fdisk and view my second drive's info. it shows that my slave HDD has an NTFS format. I seem to read somewhere that Windows 98 cannot read NTFS format. Is this correct? Should I now reformat my HDD to FAT32?

Edited by madwdpcbrkdwn, 17 February 2009 - 04:57 AM.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
If theres nothing on that drive that you want, then sure, go ahead and format it. Glad to hear its coming around. :)

madwdpcbrkdwn

madwdpcbrkdwn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
thanks leurgy. just to let you know. I decided not to format it. instead I'll be using it with my PC with WinXP as a external backup storage device. bought an HDD enclosure and it's working fine now. thanks again.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thanks for letting us know.
It was good you looked at it first in case you had something on there because, 98 will not see a NTFS format.