Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Video Card..Need Help

• Please log in to reply

blessed

blessed

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:D Hi to all. I am new on this site and far from a novice in the computer world. :D
I recently re-installed Windows 98 over WIndows XP due to some incompatability reasons. I got the installation part down, but how can I get my graphic card and DVD to work. I know that they are compatible since they were running on win98 before. I know I can probably update my drivers since I've been doing quite a bit of reading but it won't allow me to log on to the internet due to some file that can't be located. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Anxiously Waiting, <_<
Blessed

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi blessed, welcome to Geeks to Go! <_<

It sure sounds like driver issues for your video and possibly for the DVD. Let's try and get you on-line first. Can you tell us are you connecting through dial-up or broadband, and some more info on the file that's missing? File name?

blessed

blessed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am using dial-up, as for the error I can give that information to you tomorrow.
(currently at work).

blessed

blessed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
<_< Good Update, I located the internet provider cd and ran it and was able to get into the internet. I also downloaded the updated drivers for my video card. One of the problems I am having now is that after I log on my computer freezes. I also noticed that I currently have two operating systems running on my computer which I can imagine is causing the computer to freeze up due to limited resources. How can I completely remove Windows XP?

:D
Blessed

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Your best bet would be to fdisk, format, and reinstall Windows 98. This will erase everything on your computer, so make sure you have good backups, or don't have any data that you're concerned about losing.

Here's a very comprehensive guide:
http://www.hexff.com/win98_install.php

blessed

blessed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:D Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try. Will I have to download the video drivers again once I am through?

Blessed <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Will I have to download the video drivers again once I am through?

<_< (yes)