Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gagp30kx hangup/reboot

• Please log in to reply

FullZombie

FullZombie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm attempting to get a friend's PC running again, and I've found that this issue has been brought up on these boards before. Having been to tech support forums in the past however, I've learned it's much better to start a new thread than try to follow someone else's fix. So here goes.

When the system starts up it goes to the "Start in Safe Mode" option list. I can boot in Safe, Safe+Network, Safe+Prompt, Last Known, and Normal. If I try any of the Safe options it gets to gagp30kx and freezes, then reboots. If I try in Last Known or Normal, it brings up the Windows XP splash screen and reboots just as the load bar starts to scroll. I briefly (3 seconds or so) get the option to Shift+F10 to reconfigure before it goes back to the start of the cycle.

There are two CD drives on the PC, but I've been warned that they're largely erratic in usability. I have a CD drive and a 3.5 drive that I can plug in if needed, though.

I also have another hard drive (with operating system, also Windows XP) that I'd be willing to hook to this tower if it would somehow make it easier to access the information on the apparently non-functional drive. I'm not familiar with the process of connecting more than one drive however, when they both have operating systems installed.

I'm sure I missed at least one crucial detail here, so just let me know what more I need to tell you, and I'll respons ASAP. Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

When the system starts up it goes to the "Start in Safe Mode" option list. I can boot in Safe, Safe+Network, Safe+Prompt, Last Known, and Normal. If I try any of the Safe options it gets to gagp30kx and freezes, then reboots. If I try in Last Known or Normal, it brings up the Windows XP splash screen and reboots just as the load bar starts to scroll. I briefly (3 seconds or so) get the option to Shift+F10 to reconfigure before it goes back to the start of the cycle.

Hello FullZombie and welcome to Geeks To Go

With the issue above it sounds like you may have a minor corruption. Please try a repair installation and see if that fixes your issue. Please note this is not a format.

If you get asked to create any accounts, don't, instead just skip that step. I have seen it asking me before a while back but these days its rare.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 14 February 2009 - 03:35 PM.

FullZombie

FullZombie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't have Windows XP cd, unfortunately. Been trying to get ahold of my friend to find out if she has one, but so far no luck. Is there another way, or a way to create a restore CD?