Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont start

• Please log in to reply

Whiteboy419

Whiteboy419

• Pip
  • 9 posts
When i turn the computer on it makes it to the screen where i choose my user account. then when i choose it it starts to load up and either freezes up, or it restarts itself, then repeats the process. I have a windows disk ready, and i since i bought the computer this way i figure i dont have anything to loose if i just wipe it clean and re install windows.

What i wanna kno is, is this the best thing for me to do?? i have no disks to reinstall any drivers or anything thats on the computer. I dont really know anything about the computer, ive never had it started up.

And if so how do i completely clean out the computer, and wipe the slate clean?? I have installed windows into a computer before, but it didnt take everything out of the computer, i still had my files too. I think it just ran a repair or sumthing i honestly cant remember, its been a while.

Thanx for any help.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Whiteboy419 and welcome to Geeks To Go.

You could format as this would fix any issue with the operating system, however please try A repair installation first.

Regards

Whiteboy419

Whiteboy419

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, first of all thank you wizzy for your reply.
i tried runing the repar installation but its still not starting, now it just restarts automaticly wen i try to load windows. all i can do is boot from cd. or it restarts. I tried to repair windows xp installation using recovery console, but it asks for administrator password, and i dont know it because im not the one who set it. i bought the computer this way. What should i do now??

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

I tried to repair windows xp installation using recovery console

Please don't use the recovery console, use the link above as this is like a fresh installation. If this fails then you may need to format to fix the issue you are having. Please see this topic if you want to format.

Regards

Whiteboy419

Whiteboy419

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i dont have the motherboard drivers disk, is it still ok to format?? all i have is the windows xp disk

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

Motherboard drivers are not an issue at all as these can be re-downloaded from the manufacturers website.

Regards

Whiteboy419

Whiteboy419

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok, i have windows up and running now, but i cannot get an internet connection to download my drivers and windows updates and everything, what do i do?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
You need the drivers from the manufacturers website.

If you do not know the make and model of your motherboard you will need to find that out. You can use a tool called WinAudit which can be downloaded from here and that will tell you.

Regards

Whiteboy419

Whiteboy419

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no i mean i cant get my computer to find an internet connection, i am trying to run the computer i am working on off of the router that is hooked up this computer i am on right now. but i cannot get it to find my connection, it keeps trying to dial up.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
I assume you are doing wireless networking? Either way you will still need drivers to get either to work. When ever you do a fresh installation you will always need to install drivers. (Sound, Graphics etc....)

If you have a desktop with a wireless pci card installed you will need to install the drivers for that card. With it being a fresh installation it should not dial for a connection unless anything has been changed, however you will not get on the internet without these drivers.

On the computer which you are on now I would like you to goto the manufacturers website, download and install every driver which is on the site and then try and re-connect to the internet. You should also restart after driver installation.

Regards

Advertisements

Whiteboy419

Whiteboy419

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
im not trying to get it wireless, i have it hooked up through a router via ethernet cord.

Whiteboy419

Whiteboy419

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
the computer i have is apparently pieced together, is there a way i can find out what is in it and what drivers i need??

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

You will need to download some computer auditing software which will tell you what is inside your computer. Example WinAudit.

Since you are going wired, through a router you will need the ethernet network driver which normally comes with your motherboard drivers. You will need to download these from the manufacturers website. There is no other way.

I reccomend that you download WinAudit to find out the make and model of your motherboard and then download every driver from the manufacturers website. If your ethernet port is on a pci card and not onboard you will need to get the driver for the pci card from the manufacturer of that card.

Regards

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hate to jump in, but lets qualify a few things so we can fully understand.

How many computers do you have? I suspect 2. Labeled as follows.

Computer 1: This computer you just got fixed and needs all the drivers.
Computer 2: This is the other computer.

Does computer 2 connect to the internet?
If no, that needs to either be fixed for you to access the internet so you can download what is needed for computer 1, or you need another computer for access.
If yes, then you need to use this 1 to get the drivers required for computer 1.

Computer 1 needs winaudit, Belarc advisor, or Everest installed to tell us what you have. When we get that info, then we can tell you where to go (give you links) to get the drivers.
If we get the mother board and network drivers 1st, then you can use computer 1 for the others.
You will have to put the drivers on a flash drive, floppy, or CD.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello 123runner and thanks for the assistance.

I think computer 2 as you put it is the one he/she is using now to get the assistance to fix computer 1 and thus has all the drivers installed. (doesn't need to be fixed) Computer 1 (the one which got format and re-install) is the one that we need to get the drivers for and I reccomended to download WinAudit to get the make and model of the motherboard so I can get the drivers and fix all issues.

Cheers

Edited by wizzy2k5, 15 February 2009 - 03:19 PM.