Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will this PCI Card work on my old(ish) desktop computer?

• Please log in to reply

Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi there,

First of all, I wouldn't count myself as a geek or anything like that when it comes to computers, I know the basic amount and probably a bit more, but when it comes to hardware... *over my head*. :) I have successfully installed a new RAM stick on my laptop though. :)

I recently found my old (I say old, I think I bought it in 2005 and it hasn't been used since about 2006) Windows XP desktop computer in my attic and I decided that since I'll have some time on my hands this week I will see if I can revitalize it so to speak. :)

First of all, it's not wireless and I'd like it to be (because I don't want to buy a 20m Ethernet cable to drape through the house). I know that I can make it wireless by either buying a USB dongle or a PCI card and installing it myself. I found this PCI card in eBay and I wondered if it'd be suitable, it's a "ASUS WL-120G V2 Mini PCI Card Wireless Adaptor" - Here.

The computer spec is as follows:

Model: Ei 313
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
80GB Hard Drive
Total Physical Memory: 256MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2GB
Page File Space: 459.56MB
Intel Celeron D CPU 3.20GHz

I'm not quite sure what information I should provide you experts with, so if you need more just ask!

Thanks in advance,
Jammin.

Advertisements

PC-Tech

PC-Tech

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
i think that is for a laptop only, just try searching "wireless PCI adapter" w/o quotes, and you should get the right item

Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So you think this should work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...r...A1|240:1318

PC-Tech

PC-Tech

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Yes, that one will work