Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you change securities on files that are open?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

We are updating our securities and I'm wondering if this can be done while files are open?

We are really just trying to standardize the way we give people access to files. During the transition, a person would have access to files in two ways (via the old security settings and the new security settings). Then, we can go back and remove the old security settings. We were hoping to be able to do this without interupting people's work.

Is this possible?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you implement new security / access rules on folders, and users have the files open, in my experience they can keep the file open, but when they close it, then the new rules will take affect. If they still have access to the file then they should see no change. If you remove their access to that file, then they cannot reopen it.

Is that what you meant?

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thanks for the reply.

That's exacly what I'm talking about.

We've been fixing shares and securities for a while now. So far, we've managed to get the work done during the weekends without a hitch. The department we're working on this weekend works every day.

Thanks for the information.

Magus

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Glad I could help :)