Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Access denied" on data CDs

• Please log in to reply

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have never had this problem before, now all of the sudden, when I create a data CD, I cannot copy any further files to it, even though it is less than 20% full. I am so frustrated right now. I have not changed any settings to cause this, and cannot find any settings that would correct it. What is really odd is that I can copy data files to a CD, completing the process and closing the window, then later, I can copy more, as long as I have not removed the disc from the drive and shut down the computer. If I remove it, and put it in later to copy more files to it, I get the "Access Denied" window. How are they getting "write-protected", if that is what's happening?

I hate my computer when it tells me my access is denied. It's controlling my life in a negative way. I am going through CDs at a ridiculous rate because of this and cannot afford it. Most of the CDs are barely used, then I cannot use them again to fill them up. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! I need to regain access and stop this problem immediately. What is going on???

(Windows XP Home Edition - using CD-R discs)

Edited by mintchip, 15 February 2009 - 02:07 AM.

Advertisements

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have just tried copying to the same CDs on my laptop, and the CDs are not write-protected. I had no problem copying to them on that computer. I should have tried this before, but I assumed the problem was with the CDs and that they were closed. Now it seems to be a problem with Windows on my main computer. Why would it be behaving this way?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It's normal with CD-R disks. You can write to them only until the session is closed.
You need CD-RW disks, if you want to write, delete, re-write, and so on.

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

It's normal with CD-R disks. You can write to them only until the session is closed.
You need CD-RW disks, if you want to write, delete, re-write, and so on.

No, it is not normal. What I meant to say is that I thought the discs were "finalized" when I got the message of "access denied". Obviously they were not, if I could still add files to the exact same discs in another computer. Maybe you did not read my post carefully. I was not trying to "rewrite, delete, and so on". RWs are not required to merely add more files to a disc that is not full and has not been finalized, unless the software is set that way. You most certainly CAN write for more than one session on a CD-R if it has space left. As I said, I have been doing it for a long time, with the same computer and same type of CDs, so obviously something else was wrong. Whatever it was, as of yesterday, the problem has mysteriously disappeared and I am able to write to those same CDs that I was denied access to before. I have no idea what caused the glitch, but I'm just glad it's over.