Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lag between typing and screen appearance

• Please log in to reply

ghartzell

ghartzell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop.

This last week - I can't remember exactly when it started - the computer has developed a lag between the time I strike a letter on the keyboard and when that letter shows up on the screen. I don't really type all that fast, but I'm running way ahead of what is immediately visible on my screen. If I stop typing, the screen will catch up, zipping the cursor across the screen from left to right and revealing the letters.

It is really bothersome if I mis-type something because I can't see it to immediately correct it.

It happens when I type messages in Lotus Notes email,when I write in MS Word, when I fill in a form or enter a password on a website - and it is happening now as I write this. There even is a lag between pressing a directional arrow and the response in a falling piece when I take a break and play the old Tetris game.

Any suggestions for how I might correct this?

Thanks in advance for anything you might be able to tell me.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello ghartzell

Welcome to Geekstogo

May i request some more information about this computer ???

Click on start , locate "my computer"right click and select "properties " ensure the "system"tab is selected
Can you post back the "system"details and the "computer"details , thank you

Anthony19

PS: this could be a spyware/malware problem... in that case , you may be directed to the malware forum

ghartzell

ghartzell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
May i request some more information about this computer ???

Click on start , locate "my computer"right click and select "properties " ensure the "system"tab is selected
Can you post back the "system"details and the "computer"details , thank you

Anthony19

PS: this could be a spyware/malware problem... in that case , you may be directed to the malware forum
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you, Anthony 19. I appreciate your taking the time to check back with me. Here is the information in the "My Computer" section:

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Registered to: Gary

Dell Vostro 1500
Intel® Core ™ 2 Duo CPU
T5470 @ 1.60 GHz
1.60 GHz 1.99 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

I will run my spyware detection/cleaner program and see if that makes a difference.

While getting the information you asked for, I came upon the "System Restore" tab. The title says that "System Restore can track and reverse harmful changes to your computer." Is that something that I should investigate using?

Thanks again for your time and thought.

Gary

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello ghartzell

Quote: " The title says that "System Restore can track and reverse harmful changes to your computer." Is that something that I should investigate using? "

Answere: Yes... If the Lag has only just started , Simply choose a time frame Befor all of this happened

Please Note: If you are infected by a virus however , the virus will probably have affected the restore points also

I personally suggest getting checked by malware before we proceed :)

Thank you for your time

Anthony19

PS: as i can see you are running 2GB of RAM ( computer detecting 1.99GB , that is Normal :) ) , more then anough to run XP smoothly ( however many of factors come into troubleshooting / diagnosing a slow running computer )

PSS: to get checked out before we proceed any further follow the link's below...

Please start here: http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html
Follow through step by step , Saving all logs and scan results

Then go to: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Start a new topic EG: Just Requesting a check-up
Post all relevant logs and results

Thank you for your co-operation , BTW: Could be the settings on the computer EG: Lots of start-up progs /services ( taking all your RAM on start-up before you even start doing anything

However... Artellos has kindly taken the time to write a topic just on these issue's for everyone to read , i recommend you read the post and check it all out , Thank you , and thank you artellos for such a great write-up :)

This topic can be found at : http://www.geekstogo...ow-t210685.html

please post back your findings ( sorry for long reply )

Edited by Anthony19, 16 February 2009 - 01:20 AM.