Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question regarding after the Windows XP Installation

• Please log in to reply

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi experts, good day.

This is what I noticed when I installed the Windows XP without reformatting. I selected the "Leave the current without reformatting" and install thw Windows XP OS. The Program Files is still there and when I run one of the programs inside that folder it won't run.

Question:
1. Yeah I know I have to install it again the software but I just want to dig more info why the programs inside the Program Files folder won't run?

Hope to read your answer guys.

Thanks and God bless. :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello SHENGTON...

When you installed the operating system, leaving the current file system intact allowed you to keep any data you had on the machine...this would include the files within the Program Files folder. However, the installation process did replace the old Windows Registry with a new set of registry hives and the new hives have no references to the files within the Program Files folder. In order to add these references, the program must be installed to the new registry.

Usually, when you reinstall the operating system in this manner, you are asked to create a new folder (directory) with a unique name for the new installation. This will result in a prompt to select an operating system to start each time you boot the machine.

wannabe1

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Very Informative. Thanks you so much Sir. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are quite welcome. :)