Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connectivity Problem

• Please log in to reply

tomdogz

tomdogz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I have a computer running on XP SP 2, and it is connected to a wireless network (Sky). Although the computer is showing that it is receiving the wireless connection perfectly well, when i go to open Firefox, Hotmail, Windows Live Messenger etc, nothing will open. (I am writing this on another computer)

Although the internet signs are all green (working fine), nothing that needs an internet connection on my computer will open. On Firefox, the homepage will not even open, all the internet pages are simply white, the loading bar makes no progress. My anti-viruses cannot update, but occasionally I am getting a pop-up to a website called www.onlinenotify.net. This also will not load, but that may be a good thing :)

Can anyone help with this???? Its really annoying me now, as i do need my computer daily.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey tomdogz,

Has this wireless connection ever worked? If you connect your computer via Ethernet cable to your router, do you get an Internet connection?

To be honest, this sounds like your computer is infected with a virus/some form of malware. If you simply weren't getting an Internet connection, your browser's would display an error -- not simply a blank screen. Please perform all of the steps listed in this thread. If, after performing all of those steps, you're still experiencing issues, please perform Step Five: Posting a Hijack This Log from that thread, and ensure you post your log in our Malware forum, for one of our Malware Removal Experts to have a look at.

In the mean time, please do the following (you will need some way to move files onto and off that machine -- i.e. a USB chip):
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Please also perform the following ping tests:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take about 20 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    ping localhost > C:\pings.txt
    ping google.com >> C:\pings.txt
    ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\pings.txt
  • Once the above pings have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file pings.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan

tomdogz

tomdogz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
1)Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TOM
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-E6-84-36-40

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v3 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-2A-B3-D5-FA
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.7
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 February 2009 22:08:21
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 February 2009 22:08:21

2)Pinging TOM [ø˜#] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for :
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Pinging google.com [ø˜#] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=306ms TTL=241
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=441ms TTL=241
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=357ms TTL=241
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for :
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 306ms, Maximum = 441ms, Average = 368ms

Pinging ø˜# with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for :
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Trying to transfer download packages for the HijackThis and Malware removal at the moment, this stuff is confusing :)

Many Thanks, Tom :) :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Tom,

It looks like your Wireless adapter is getting a connection, although your pings did show a loss of communication. This is likely due to some form of software issue (including malware, virus, firewall, etc.). Can you please let me know how the malware clean up goes; has it detected/removed anything as of yet? I would like to see you get a clean bill of health from the Malware Experts to rule out malicious software interference. If you're still experiencing issues, then please post back here, and we'll work to get this resolved.

Keep me updated on the malware removal process, though, please.
- Dan

tomdogz

tomdogz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Dan, Thanks for the help.

I ran Malware Bytes and it picked up a few Trojans, 15 or 16 I think :) I got rid of all of them, and have posted another HJ Log in the Malware forum. Will keep updated.

Tom