Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Graphics Card...

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, i had a post up a while ago regarding my old PC, the support i got was great so i thought i would test you guys with a new issue!
I just bought an Acer Aspire M3641 running windows Vista
CPU Q6600 Intel Core 2 Quad
4GB DDR2 Memory
Nvidia GeForce 7100 Grpahics card.

I bought this PC as a gaming PC and use my other PC for going onlice etc. I am more than happy with the new Acer pc in-terms of performance and knew i would upgrade the graphics card as the intergrated Nvidia isn't top spec.
First card i bought was a PCI Express Nvidia 9800 series (figured i would stick to Nvidia as it would seem it's an Nvidia MOBO with all Nvidia drivers for Display, Sound etc) it wasn't till i tried to fit this that it became apparant it would be impossibe due to the length of the card, which was causing it to hit the hard drive connectors!! :)
Back to PC World with that!
I then searched online and came across an ATI Radeon HD 4670 "Mesmerizing 3d Graphics for True Gamers"....excellent i thought.

Followed the instructions regarding installing the card (as it was the first one i have ever done!) uninstalled the driver for the Nvidia Card via "Device Manager", shut down the system, put in the new graphics card, turned computer back on, started up no issues (no fuzzy screen, flickering or anything like that), Vista stated it had found new hardware went to install drivers and failed.
No worries i thought, i have the CD with the drivers on. Run the CD tells me it has successfully downloaded drivers needed. But graphics card still doesn't know what it is. Using device manager i tell the graphics card to check for hardware changes, updates etc etc still doesn't make a difference. I've Uninstalled the hardware and reinstalled it and still no difference. I've tried going online and getting the drivers that way, I've uninstalled the hardware and put the drivers on first, then installed the hardware and yet still it doesn't do it!??! VERY annoying!

Device manager is referring to it as a "Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor" and upon searching for updates Windows is proud to tell me " Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date"
I'm completely stuck with what to do. I've searched on the net and it seems many people have issues with ATI cards. But it surely should be this difficult.
Device manager explains "Device cannot start (code 10)"
Would it make a difference if i unistalled the "Display" driver?
In short from what i can gather Windows is aware there's new hardware, this hardware is working in some way as i can see clearly and use the PC, the drivers are installing BUT the hardware is failing to except these drivers.

Any help is most welcome! Thank you.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
SORTED! :) Just incase anyone else is having this problem, and this will sound really stupid of me, but i pressed the "Run" option rather than "install" and that's fixed it!
Have to wonder why they couldn't just print that in the installation manual?? :)