Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Connect to get ISP

• Please log in to reply

compdufas

compdufas

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a new Acer lap top that is supposed to be internet ready and wireless. In the prompts I chose a phone line ISP. The next prompt says to plug in the phone which I can't do. Do I need a special modem for this. Is there something else I need to do? Any sugestions? I'm ready to take the computer back, I'm so frustrated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Skip all of that, you don't need it, that's for setting up a new account with a provider.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
How do you plan on connecting to the Internet? Do you already have an account with an Internet Service Provider? What model of Acer is this?

compdufas

compdufas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Currently, I use Peoplepc and want to stay with a phone line just because of the cost. The lap top already has Net Zero but needs to be downloaded....from the internet... What I did find out is that the Acer 5515 doesn't have a modem in it, so I need to get another modem......cause the modem I have for this computer doesn't work on the LT. But I don't know what kind of modem, and neither did the person I spoke with at Acer. Any ideas?

Thanx you two for responding....

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I haven't been able to find a compatible pcmcia modem that is supported by windows Vista. I think you may be out of luck.