Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Not enough memory error

• Please log in to reply

Big Jake

Big Jake

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a laptop w/windows y2k. Originally had a 10 gig hard drive and when it failed I installed a 60GB drive which is all I'll probably ever need. I have McAffee firewall/virus/spyware software I want to install but it won't execute saying "Not enough memory". :) If I go to "My computer and right click properties it says drive size is 60GB and memory free is over 50GB. The only thing I can think of is maybe McAffee looks at "as built" properties and compares with memory used. In any case I need a firewall real bad and this software is a downloaded package that comes with my internet service. I.T. /tech help technicians there don't have a clue. Any help greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What version of McAfee are you trying to install?
Hard drive space are memory are not the same thing. 50Gb is the amount of space on the hard drive.
You can see how much memory's in the computer by going to Control Panel -> System, and on the front screen is probably a six digit number with "Kb" on the end of it.

Big Jake

Big Jake

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What version of McAfee are you trying to install?
Hard drive space are memory are not the same thing. 50Gb is the amount of space on the hard drive.
You can see how much memory's in the computer by going to Control Panel -> System, and on the front screen is probably a six digit number with "Kb" on the end of it.

Neil- McAfee version I don't know it's a version provided from my ISP. When I got the error message not enough memory I didn't snap initially that it was ram. I contacted McAfee live chat tech help they said I need 256MB Ram to download I have 128MB. I just ordered a pair of 256 MB memory cards from Crucial. 512MB is the max Ram I can run on my PIII 800Mhz according to Crucial and I have 2 slots. So I maxed it out that should do me for a while. Yes my system is older but but I have a new hard drive and with this upgrade it should run another 3-6 years or more-all I do is surf and send pics.
Thanks for Reply Neil if you have any further thoughts or recommendations let me know.

Edited by Big Jake, 16 February 2009 - 08:15 AM.