Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gamepad Pro / WinXP nightmare

• Please log in to reply

Nightguy

Nightguy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Maybe someone can help me with this problem.

I tried to install drivers for my Gravis Gamepad Pro using an internet download called Xp4.5.exe, which has worked on this machine before. It wouldnt work so I downloaded a different version of the same .exe but it told me to uninstall the previous driver before installing. So, when I tried to uninstall I got an error saying a file was locked and was unable to uninstall. When prompted to reboot I did and Window came up fine with the exception that my USB mouse and USB keyboard no longer work. Same thing in Safe Mode. Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Advertisements

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
You could try running CCleaner. When I have had problems uninstalling things in the past, it was usually because of a registry error. If you run CCleaner, it not only cleans up temporary files, but also cleans your registry. Give it a shot, and let me know if anything happens.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
We do not recommend registry cleaners. especially CCleaner when it is provided without specific instructions to their use. They can often lead to more issues than they resolve.

You can try system restore and going back to a previous restore point (if system restore is running).

Nightguy

Nightguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have tried both "Restore to Last Known Good Config." (which didnt change anything) and I cannot use System Restore even in Safe Mode because I cannot use my mouse or keyboard in Windows at all.

Nightguy

Nightguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Oh, btw, I would need to be able to use Windows to even try using CCleaner...but I cant, so I cant use CCleaner anyway. Frustrating huh?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Then I would say that your ready for an XP repair:

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Nightguy

Nightguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, I will try that. This is the first concrete idea I have received from anyone regarding my problem. I will let you know how it goes.

Nightguy

Nightguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I havent got this problem fixed yet. I tried doing the repair but I cannot find my original WinXP disk. I borrowed a copy of WinXP Home SP3 and tried it but I am not getting to the repair screen, as shown in your link. Instead, after Windows loading and my floppy with the RAID setup also loaded, I am getting different blue screens that tell me things will be overwritten. I am wondering if that is because it isnt the correct Windows version?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
that is odd. I would try a different cd.

Nightguy

Nightguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, guys, I swear my computer is jinxed lol. I have told you what I have tried and now I will add trying Repair with an original XP Pro disk. That did not work either. I have even emailed Kensington, who wrote the software, thinking who better then them to help fixing the problem? All they have done, after several attempts, is give me the run-around. So, I finally gave up trying to do anything related to fixing the problem and just install a new clean hard drive, install XP on that one, then transfer my files to it...well after installing the O/S to the point where it has to reboot, the black screen come up and says "to boot from CD please hit enter". Well, if I hit enter it starts to reinstall again right from the start. If I dont hit enter then it says "read error Windows is not installed". I have tried this 3 times now with the same result!! I have unhooked the original drive and all USB hardware so there are no conflicts. So just the basic necessary hardware is installed.

So, if you have any idea how to overcome this please let me know cuz I am about to burn the [bleep] thing!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
9 times out of 10 when an install of XP fails on a clean drive it's the result of one of two things....A: Bad XP disk....make sure the disk is clean and relatively scratch free. B: Bad RAM. (which could also cause your install problems for the game pad).... you should try running memtest...or running the microsoft RAM tester... follow their instructions for using their tools and report back any errors found

Nightguy

Nightguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, everyone who has tried to help. In the end I tried another hard drive (yes, a second new hard drive!) and everything worked as it is supposed to. Perhaps the first new one I tried was messed up. However, I finally have a clean Windows install and the use of both my mouse and keyboard. I still dont know what the problem was or how to fix it but right now I dont care. I am going to install my old drive as a slave and take the files from it and then wipe it clean. Again, thanks for your time. You guys rock.

Edited by Nightguy, 24 February 2009 - 08:03 PM.

Nightguy

Nightguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Im back. Yes I have another wee problem.

Ok, I have the new drive with Win XP Pro installed on it and working fine. I then install (physically) the problem drive (yes, the one I originally posted about) to get files from it.

Note 1: The new drive is a SATA drive. The old drive is actually 2 SATA drives hooked in RAID.

Note 2: I had to disable RAID in the BIOS to get Windows to install.

Now, Windows boots and recognizes the new drive(s) but it wont read anything on it/them. I assume it is because there is no RAID drivers installed. How do I get those drivers on so I can get Windows to read the RAID drives? Or, if I assume wrongly, is there is some other thing I can do to get WinXP to read the drives?

Note 3: After trying and not being able to read from the drives, I have re-enabled RAID feature in the BIOS. That hasnt helped.

Nightguy

Nightguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, nevermind. I discovered the RAID drivers can be installed in Windows by using the motherboard CD. All is well.