Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME, and I have no cd rom drive....

• Please log in to reply

rcbif

rcbif

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Computer-Dell l400 small form computer-no cd-rom drive- one usb port--------So I was going to wipe and reinstall xp on my dell l400. I have a usb cd rom hooked up to it, and was trying to figure out how to boot from cd. I started the computer went to bios, and had 4 options avalible to me. 1. atapi cd-rom drive(dont know why cause there is no cd-drive) 2. removable devices 3. internal hd 4. network boot.

So I though I'd set it to removable devices to try to boot off the cd to install xp. Then I got the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME screen. I tried resetting everything in bios how I found it, rebooting in safe mode, taking out and plugging back in the hd, but nothing works.

So....is my harddrive dead??? And if it is dead and I buy a new one how would I install a os seing as my computer has no cd-rom drive? I was going to try to sell this computer at college to make some money, but it's not looking good........Any help appreciated, thanks....

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error, usually means bad hard drive.
You can hook the drive to another laptop, using USB laptop hard drive enclosure, and test the drive.

Install Windows without a CD-ROM or floppy drive: http://www.defective...-cd-rom-or.html