Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Make 2 wireless routers talk to each other.

• Please log in to reply

willytel

willytel

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have a Linksys WRT54GS version 4 wireless router with a cable modem connected for internet access. All works well, no problems. I would like to get my Netgear WGT624 version 2 wireless router to talk to the Linksys router, wirelessly, to get internet access similar to an access point. This is because I have to connect several pieces of equipment in another area of my house and I have no way to run a hardwire connection.

Can this be done and how?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Bill

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is easy to do wired, all you do is turn DHCP off on the second router and plug a cable in. The first router gives an ip address to the second router and everything that connects to the second router goes online through the first router.

Wireless though may not be possible, even if it is it would be a bit more complicated. Homeplug may be another option, plug one into the mains and cable to the computer, plug another into a plug by the computer and cable to the router, bob's your uncle.

Edited by Neil Jones, 15 February 2009 - 06:03 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Bill,

As Neil said, this process is a lot easier if you're able to use wires to connect the two. However, Wireless bridging is what you're looking for. Whether or not you can do this depends on one thing: whether your router's firmware supports it. Try logging into both your Netgear and Linksys -- in the Wireless sections, under Wireless Mode (exact name may vary), look for Client-Bridge (exact wording may vary). If that is present, then it means that that particular router can support Wireless bridging. If your existing firmware can handle wireless bridging, let me know and I'll try to walk you through the process.

On the other hand, there is open-source firmware out there that will allow you (if your router is supported) to perform wireless bridging. Have a look at DD-WRT, as this often supports Linksys.

- Dan

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Thanks Dan. I've been looking at the DD-WRT pages and after reading everything it was getting confusing exactly which software I was to download and install into the linksys router and which goes into the netgear one. I will continue to research but any pointer would be greatly appreciated.

Bill.

Hey Bill,

I'm going to respond to your PM in this thread. After looking at the DD-WRT site, I have to admit it is quite convoluted and the required steps aren't overly specific.

I believe that your Netgear router will not support DD-WRT, at this time. This will mean that your Linksys router will need to be your client bridge router, and your Netgear will have to become your new primary router -- is this acceptable to you?

As to what you need to download, please go to the DD-WRT Supported Hardware link. In the search box, copy/paste Linksys WRT54GS v4.0 -- after a few seconds it will find your router; click the link. You will need to download the Mini-Build required for inital flashing via WEB, with the file name dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin.

Please understand that I have never actually used DD-WRT firmware, and can not make any promises as to the quality/effectiveness of this firmware. Ensure you follow the Installation instructions carefully. For your convenience, here is the Recover from a Bad Flash link. :)

- Dan

willytel

willytel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Dan,

Thanks so much. It now makes sence. I guess I can begin thinking about attacking this but unfortunately the Netgear was to be my test subject as my Linksys has been working for several years. I will take another approach.

Thanks.

Bill.

Andrew Whalen

Andrew Whalen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok so i have a problem simmaler to this. my setup is as follows

-- is wireless connection
== is wired connection

ISP==SHAW CABLE MODEM==LINKSYS WRT54G--Retail Plus Wireless N Router==PC2
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////||=PC1 connected to wrt54g wired

both pc have full internet access so i did that right but now how do i see files and folders on each of the computers

Edited by Andrew Whalen, 24 September 2011 - 04:16 PM.