Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are the affects of using to small of a PSU

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I am wanting to install a 256mb e-GeForce 6200 AGP 8X in an older computer. Everything on the box as far as system requirements is ok, except the power supply. It says it requires a 300 watt PSU. I haven't looked, but the computer I am wanting to put this in probably only has 150 or 200 watt. It was a Valentine's Day present from the girlfriend :)

Will it damage the computer? What are the possible affects? A dim screen or something?

Could you explain some of that for me?

The system is the Gateway 450 in my signature...I like multiple monitors as you will be able to tell.

Thanks,

Edited by Ferrari, 15 February 2009 - 07:25 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In most cases the PSU will probably work initially, until you put the computer under load (have it do stuff). Then you'll find it'll shut itself off. Potentially it could burn itself out which would then mean replacing it. It's possible (though unlikely) that if it gets overloaded it could potentially kill anything plugged into it.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thank you. I guess I will upgrade the PSU first, maybe just keep the card for something else. That computer is old, just something to have as a back up and to mess with mostly.

What PSU name brands should I trust? I have seen comments about some PSU not putting out what they say they put out.

Also, when I build my first NEW computer, do I really need those $100 video cards if I DON'T game? I just like them for multiple monitors and to upgrade the quality of movie playback/graphics of my desktop or websites. I do not game at all, and have no interest to.

Thank you,