Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ADDING 2ND HD WRECKED ORIGINAL XP HD - HELP

• Please log in to reply

giannib

giannib

• Pip
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (123Runner @ Nov 26 2008, 06:46 PM)
Remove the old drive and leave just your new drive in while you install the OS. After you have it running, then add the other drive as a slave to get the (hopefully) files off.

I AM A DIFFERENT USER WITH THE SAME PROBLEM:

I have installed (successfully) a 2nd HD with a fresh XP Pro, but it still wont READ the old HD. It RECOGNIZES it, but doesn't show any data (and there is about 40 Gigs on there).

UPDATE: *********** I have since (4 hours later) successfully LOCATED the data on the old drive by using a FREE partitioning program called "Find and Mount" ( http://www.FindAndMount.com ) and it all appears to be there and be good. The old OS on the old drive is corrupted, tho ... XP wont recognize the data or OS partition at all, says that the drive [still] needs to be re-formatted; and I still am seeking a way to remigrate all of that data (and PROGRAMS) onto my new 500Gig WD [merge all new and old data and programs onto ONE HD] which has a fresh XP Pro installed on it. Find and Mount found the data, but makes it "Read Only" so it wont accidentally be overwritten. Find and Mount also created 2 volumes for the 2 partitions it found w/data ... I named them O: and K:. Find and Mount will also Create and Image of the volumes (i.e., I guess that would COPY them to another device ... say, the NEW HD, for instance). But, I'd like to know how to do it and RESTORE FUNCTIONALITY OF ALL OF THE DATA AND PROGRAMS THAT WERE [ARE] ON THE OLD HD, TOO.

Further help would be appreciated.

Edited by giannib, 16 February 2009 - 11:35 AM.

Advertisements