Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't get to GUI after I installed AVG

• Please log in to reply

BL00DY_R0AR

BL00DY_R0AR

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hey guys. Im fixing a friends laptop. It was polluted to begin with; viruses, popups, it was horrible. I've done a few scans with Ad-aware, and then with AVG. I installed it which was fine, then when it was done scanning it wanted to restart. I did and now it wont get to the GUI. I've tried Last known config start up option, I've tried Safe Mode, I've even tried using Command Prompt to no avail. It looks like it gets past the login stage, but right after that, it locks up.

It looks like it to me that AVS is trying to finish the scan, but when it tries to load, the system locks up. I think the culprit is the process avgrsx.exe. I try to end the process and it wont end....

Any ideas guys? Im pretty stumped and getting frustrated.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Sorry to hear that your friend's notebook has become an expensive paperweight..

I'm not sure what version of AVG you tried to load, but to recover from this you will have to repair the XP installation. You didn't mention the notebook model, but some do have hidden partitions from which you can reload the op system by pressing a key at startup, but if there's data on the drive that can not be done without, then you will need a Windows XP CD, of the same version of what's in the notebook. Boot from that CD and 1st run a CHKDSK /r command from the repair console, (Press R at the 1st screen when it pops up. Assume that there's no administrator password, cuz if there is, well... :)

Once you've logged onto the Windows installation, Type CHKDSK /r and let it run. Test the notebook after this and see if it will start again. If not re-boot again from the CD and this time go down the re-install Windows path. It should find the existing Windows installation, and will prompt you to press R to repair it..

Good Luck...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If Mark Ds suggestion doesn't help then I would boot the computer with BartPE, uninstall AVG throw it out of the window and never look at it again. Lately I encountered lots of cases in which AVG got corrupted. Try AVAST.

BartPE is a windows based tiny operating system that loads to the RAM and enable many repair and backup options. Use the link in my list below and create a bootable CD. For the preparation of the disk you will need an XP installation disk of any version.

BL00DY_R0AR

BL00DY_R0AR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
It's a Dell, so no it doesnt have that extra partition. I wish it did!!!!

Well I just started working on it again, and I figured out that I could still open applications; I press ctr-alt-del and I can open the Run As window! So I opened up computer managment, and checked out some stuff. Nothing wrong in Device Manager, so it cant be hardware(hopefully).

Also for an added note I could see the backround image...so it gets past the logging in stage, i just cant see the start menu, no folders, just the backround image.

I tried using the UBCD(Ultimate Boot CD) and a copy of win xp pro, but the computer wouldnt boot from it. I changed the boot sequence, pressed F8 and selected it to boot from CD, and no luck. Maybe I copied them wrong? I copied the XP ISO image right onto the CD and it should work. Its the wierdest thing guys. Anything you think I may be doing wrong?

In the meantime, tonight Im going to be trying to fix this "expensive paperweight" lol. I appreciate the help guys. Any other ideas on what to do?

UPDATE: Ok Im able to load the CD from the Run As window, and I cant seem to find a repair option in it...so Im at a dead-end again. Im going to try some other things and then come back.

Edited by BL00DY_R0AR, 16 February 2009 - 04:57 PM.

BL00DY_R0AR

BL00DY_R0AR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Okay I used System File Checker and it found something wrong and I need a Wondows XP Professional CD. I have one and it doesnt accept it....does anyone know where I can download one?

I think Im close to figuring out this issue :)