Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop continual restart. No OS, no BIOS


  • Please log in to reply

#1
triindiglo

triindiglo

    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I need my laptop computer to be working asap, and resolving this issue soon would really make my day.

I have an HP Pavilion dv6324us. (specs from hp) There have been a few problems with it before, but nothing serious (wireless internet stopped working - probably the biggest other problem, but no big deal)

When I turn the computer on, all of the lights light up but nothing shows up on the display. The fan runs at normal speed and then slows down (it did not do this when starting normal) after which it shuts off completely and restarts. This continues until I do a hard shutdown. (each 'cycle' takes about a minute)

This problem came completely out of the blue. I was using the computer the previous day with no problems at all. I have not used any resource intensive programs (games, photo editing, etc) for a long time. I'm 99.9% positive I had no viruses or anything last time it was working ok.

I have tried taking out the memory and harddrive and re-seating them, and unplugging the RTC battery to reset the CMOS, both to no effect.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
Anthony19

Anthony19

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello triindiglo

Faulty power supply ???

Over heating Problem ???

Do you have another spare power supply ??? Just to eliminate that thought...

I just cleaned my computer the other day ( not to mention how lol , was not the done thing) , but decreased temperature and also decreased the Fan RPM by a significant amount

Good luck

Anthony19

PS: Other than that... maybe a Faulty or defective Mobo ( Mother-Board ) ???

Edited by Anthony19, 16 February 2009 - 01:35 AM.

  • 0

#3
triindiglo

triindiglo

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I wouldn't think it could overheating since I powered it up 'cold' (and when I shut it down last it was fine). Would make sense if it took a long time to shut off, but how could it 'overheat' that quick?

As for the faulty motherboard/power supply how could they become 'faulty' so suddenly? Not saying it's not a possibility, just seems strange to me.

Unfortunately I don't have another power supply, and now that you mention it the power options were acting a little funny - the battery indicator in the taskbar showed the icon that means 'no battery' but when hovered over said 'charged -100%.' It seemed unrelated, but maybe that was a precursor to the power system getting messed up or something?

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I'll keep those things in mind.
  • 0

#4
Anthony19

Anthony19

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello

Check your CPU Fan , and all others and ensure that there is not alot of dust build up , and the exhaust ports are not blocked
fans are going quiet cheap these days btw ( Mother boards are not lol )

Quote: " how could it 'overheat' that quick? " , If you did not have a CPU fan cooling the mobo , the mobo would be fried/cooked within about 20 seconds lol ( To my memory )
Quote: " how could they become 'faulty' so suddenly? " , Any Electronics either work or they don't lol ( in most cases )
Somtimes you can have intermittant faults ( but lead to failures later normally lol )

Please Note: Be careful not to Shock any part of your computer if you enter behind the base ( into the computer ) , Alot of parts are Electro-static sensitive , Be sure to discharge any static charge you may have collected ( simply hold the screw of the case or touch the case before touching any electrical circuitry , and also stand on something that does not promote a static charge eg: Carpet Does , Tiles do not )

best of luck

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 16 February 2009 - 02:20 AM.

  • 0

#5
triindiglo

triindiglo

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can still hear/feel the CPU fan running, so that's what makes me think it couldn't be overheating (at least that quickly). I will clean out all of the ports and everything a little later when I get a can of compressed air.

I guess that was a stupid thing to say on my part about electronics not failing suddenly :) I guess I was thinking that since there were no problems last time I was using it that nothing would have happened...

As for some other things I have done:
-I checked the power supply with a voltmeter, it is outputting the 18.5V it is supposed to. It could be possible that it can't keep up with the current demands but that seems unlikely.
-I have pretty much eliminated the possibility that it is the RAM, by trying one stick at a time and using some older RAM.
-The computer will not boot from a disc either. However, I could hear the DVD drive start up/begin to read the disc before it restarted if that means anything.
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP