Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

<windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe

• Please log in to reply

theyin

theyin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there.

I'm a new member of Geeks to Go! and believed that anyone can give me an advise on my problem.

Kinda frustrated.. was not able to back-up my important office files when it suddenly crashed. donno what happened..

it suddenly gave this kind of message in black screen:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

What i did, i connected extenal cd-rom drive cos my laptop dont have one and boot to cd and repair using the OS from CD. But it says could not locate or find the hard disk.

does it mean i can not restore and open my files again? huhuhu..

hope somebody out there can help me tell what to do.. :) :)

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello theyin and welcome to Geeks To Go.

The file in question is related to the Kernel and is needed in order for the operating system to start. This type of error is normally software related but I do not want to rule out anything.

The steps I would normally take for this error are the following.

• Make sure the hard drive is plugged in correctly and shows up in the bios
  • Do a repair installation
  • Do a manual system restore
  • Do a format and re-install
From what I have read you have already tried a repair installation to which did not work. Does the hard drive show up in the bios? To access the bios press either F2 or delete upon bootup. It may help if you press these one after another. If you see a message called "Press F2 to enter setup" or something along them lines, please follow them directions to get access to the bios.

For a manual restore please see this post by wannabe1

If the hard drive shows up in the bios then to me it sounds like you have a very bad corrupted installation to which you will need to format and reinstall of the operating system. For help doing this please see this topic.

As far as data backup is concerned your best bet would be to connect the hard drive to another computer via a usb cable and try and get your data back that way. To do this you will either need a 3.5" external caddy or a 2.5" external caddy depending on if you have a desktop or laptop.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 16 February 2009 - 10:58 AM.