The problems that remain are:
1) CNTL ALT DEL is disabled (won't start task manager);
2) Button 2 in Explorer/My Computer on a desktop icon, ..., causes a "Windows Installer" window to pop up that must be cancelled before ever getting the context menu;
3) Executing some programs causes Windows Installer windows to pop up **;
4) Stratup is SLOW, disk activity goes for quite some time;
5) Shutdown slow, won't shut off after "windows is shutting down" appears, must power off.
** For instance clicking the desktop "Malware Bytes Anti Maleware" icon causes anywhere from 3 to 12 Windows Installer windows which each must be cancelled before the program loads. !!! Why would this happen with Malware Bytes (a clue?)????
What I have just recently completed already:
1) A repair XP install
2) Windows updates through SP 3 completed successfully (including problematic IE7)
3) numerous programs removed/reinstalled incl. virus scanners and firewalls
4) Complete scan Avast Anti-virus (some found)
5) Complete Scan Malware Bytes Anti Maleware (some found)
6) All Advanced System Care utilities, numerous other registry sweepers/compacters
7) Vundo scans (none found)
8) Basic HiJack This fixes
9) Freed lots of disk space using (still my 80 Gb drive is 3/4's full and ALL my media, etc. is external >> that's 40 GBytes of mostly windows JUNK!)
10) Scan disk/defrag
11) reloading Windows Installer through WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86 (could not find a WI removal tool)
My system is running faster than ever now and many problems (not listed above) have gone away but the 5 problems listed above remain.
The problem with the Windows Installer popups is VERY annoying.
Where do I go from here????
HiJack This log at this point is as follows:
Right now Avast/MBAB >> sytem virus free
Please help! THANKS