Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CNTL-ALT-DEL Disabled Windows Installer Launches via Explorer Context

• Please log in to reply

paulbkk

paulbkk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
After a LONG sequence of procedures (outlined 1-11 below) which, THANKS to info in this forum, fixed numerous other problems, I have a few remaining problems on my XP Inspiron 9300.

The problems that remain are:
1) CNTL ALT DEL is disabled (won't start task manager);
2) Button 2 in Explorer/My Computer on a desktop icon, ..., causes a "Windows Installer" window to pop up that must be cancelled before ever getting the context menu;
3) Executing some programs causes Windows Installer windows to pop up **;
4) Stratup is SLOW, disk activity goes for quite some time;
5) Shutdown slow, won't shut off after "windows is shutting down" appears, must power off.

** For instance clicking the desktop "Malware Bytes Anti Maleware" icon causes anywhere from 3 to 12 Windows Installer windows which each must be cancelled before the program loads. !!! Why would this happen with Malware Bytes (a clue?)????

What I have just recently completed already:
1) A repair XP install
2) Windows updates through SP 3 completed successfully (including problematic IE7)
3) numerous programs removed/reinstalled incl. virus scanners and firewalls
4) Complete scan Avast Anti-virus (some found)
5) Complete Scan Malware Bytes Anti Maleware (some found)
6) All Advanced System Care utilities, numerous other registry sweepers/compacters
7) Vundo scans (none found)
8) Basic HiJack This fixes
9) Freed lots of disk space using (still my 80 Gb drive is 3/4's full and ALL my media, etc. is external >> that's 40 GBytes of mostly windows JUNK!)
10) Scan disk/defrag
11) reloading Windows Installer through WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86 (could not find a WI removal tool)

My system is running faster than ever now and many problems (not listed above) have gone away but the 5 problems listed above remain.

The problem with the Windows Installer popups is VERY annoying.

Where do I go from here????

HiJack This log at this point is as follows:

Right now Avast/MBAB >> sytem virus free

Please help! THANKS

Attached Thumbnails

• Snap2.gif

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello paulbkk

Please do not post HJT logs in this forum , they are to be resolved in the malware forums , and assistance is given by a malware representative

It looks like you have an extensive list of startup programs and some suspect entry's there though, you have quiet a few questionable items in the hijack log
BTW: Avast detected some system restore points... did you do the pre-required steps before ???

6) All Advanced System Care utilities, numerous other registry sweepers/compacters
what regeistry sweeper's "Cleaner's "have you run ??? this type of software if programmed incorrectly( Which most are lol ) can be very troublesome... ( bad for your computer )

8) Basic HiJack This fixes , Did you make back-ups ??? , do you recall what you "fixed"???

I advise you to go to the malware forum and get cleaned up before we proceed with this topic

Please start here: http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html
Complete all steps and save all relavent logs and results ( keep avast and malware logs just incase )

Then go here: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html
Post a new topic and include all logs and results...

and inform them of this topic by leaving a link
Link: http://www.geekstogo...xt-t229201.html

Thank you for your co-operation

Best of luck !!! ( You are in good hands in the malware forum , they are good at what they do :) )

Anthony19

PS: once you get the all clear ( clean ) from the malware representative we can continue working on this topic

Edited by Anthony19, 16 February 2009 - 05:10 AM.

paulbkk

paulbkk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, as asked ...

http://www.geekstogo...em-t229313.html

But no replies even.

I've made some progress. The situation is improved and different now. Is it OK to go ahead here?

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello paulbkk

please give them 3 days

If your topic is 3 days old or more, and you haven't received a reply, please Start a new thread in The Waiting Room with ONLY:

* a link to your topic
* Brief description of your issue i.e Malware - Hardware- Application - Operating system.
* the date it was posted
Taken from http://www.geekstogo...elp-t21590.html

Best of Luck

Anthony19

paulbkk

paulbkk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Forget it.

Good bye GGEEEKKKKSSSSS