Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb ports stopped working hp laptop

• Please log in to reply

cc2001

cc2001

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello everyone

i have a hp ze2000 laptop. Win xp. Recently the two usb ports on the pc stopped working. First one and a few days later the other, i have reformatted but same result, could someone help me with this? I use this pc for my business and it is valuable to me.
thanks again

chris

Advertisements

TechNerd

TechNerd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) To do these methods to fixing this you need to be on the adminstrator account of the computer. If your computer is owned by you you already are adminbstrator. If its owned by your work then get someone to log on to the adminstrator. To verify your on an admistrator account go to:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin

Method #1:

Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. After your computer scans for hardware changes, it might recognize the USB device that is connected to the USB port so that you can use the device.

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.
Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
Check the USB device to see whether it is working.
If scanning for hardware changes fixed the problem, you are finished.

Method #2:

Use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, try the steps in the "Workaround" section.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.
Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.
Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
If the USB port recognizes the device and if you can use the device, you are finished.

Method #3

Use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, try the steps in the "Workaround" section.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:

Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.
Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.
Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
If the USB port recognizes the device and if you can use the device, you are finished.

If this method fixed the problem, you are finished.

If none of these methods worked, you didnt do them right, or theres nothing else you can do.

dlvoegtline

dlvoegtline

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So strange. I have the same computer and the same thing went out at around the same time. First my mouse stopped working and I noticed that my curser didn't move when something was plugged into the USB spot. I have to push the jump drive in and pull out slowly to unfreeze the curser. I have been on line with HP to try to fix this and they said that it might be the motherboard. Can anyone help? :) :)