Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent and Unstable internet connection

• Please log in to reply

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Everything on my Laptop was working fine until I tried to uninstall a battery monitor which I had installed. My Laptop was running slow but everything was working so I was trying to clean up some unnecessary things. I had installed .net framework in order to be able to use the battery monitor so when i unintalled the battery monitor I also uninstalled .net framework. I also preferred the older version of Mozilla Firefox that I run on my Desktop so I uninstalled the newer version that I had on my Laptop and installed the same version that I run on my Desktop. I read somewhere that the newer version of Mozilla Firefox ran slower than the older versions.
Net result after all these changes.... Cannot connect to the internet from my Laptop. Sometimes will say "limited or no connectivity" My connection to the router and to the network seems to be fine (I think) but it will only sporadically connect to the internet. It has connected a couple of times for a short time but then loses connection again. I tried to run system restore to several previous restore points but nothing has helped. It seems that .net framework is also corrupted because I cant uninstall it or reinstall it becuase I get an error that says "The patch package could not be opened"
I am running WindowsXP sp3 with a wireless D-Link Router.
Am completely lost and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank You,
Brad

Update: While writing this I rebooted the Laptop and got a different IP Address with no Defalut Gateway and was unable to ping the Desktop. I was able to ping the desktop before I rebooted. A desktop and the Laptop are all I have on the network

Advertisements

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Well it appears that I was able to solve the problem myself. I had to reset my security key on my router and disable then enable the wireless network on my laptop. After that I was able to access the internet on the laptop again. One problem solved. When I got back online, I checked automatic updates and saw a newer version of .net framework to be installed as an update to my older corrupted version. I thought that perhaps by downloading the update, it might repair the corrupted older version and then I would be able to remove the whole program. During the update the computer completely froze up and so i figured that I was kinda screwed. However, When I went to the add/remove programs after the update, the newer version of .net framework was showing on the list. Figuring that I hand nothing really to lose, I tried to remove the newer version of .net framework and then the original version of .net framework and it worked!!!!!! So really I was more lucky than good, but I am back up and running and have removed the .net framework. Hopefully maybe my experience might help someone else.
Thank You,
Brad

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello sportspeddler1 & Welcome to Geeks to Go

Good to see you have resolved the problem yourself !

Quote: I read somewhere that the newer version of Mozilla Firefox ran slower than the older versions.

Just a hint/tip... , Thank's to Kelvin for kindly taking the time to create a "How To Use Guide and Tutorial " on Making Firefox Faster ! Simple , just yet affective tweak , i suggest you check it out ( i noticed increased load-up time instantly )
You can find it @ http://www.geekstogo...er-t177375.html

Best of luck in the near future
&
Happy Computing !

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 17 February 2009 - 01:31 AM.