Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway or router

• Please log in to reply

internetgal

internetgal

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I recently set my network up with what I guess is called a gateway, I got it from my isp. I notice most help is for networks on a router and modem connected. I have 2 pc's and 1 laptop. Main pc is on the gateway, 2nd is using a wireless adapter and laptop is connected to 2nd pc as this is the one that shows up for me to connect to. Is this an okay network setup or do you suggest the router and modem option? Our wii game is using our wifi too.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey internetgal and welcome to GTG.

Both a modem and a router can be considered "gateways". Do you by any chance know the make and model of your Gateway device? If your ISP gave it to you, I would suspect that it is a modem, although it is possible that it is a modem/router combo. On the actual Gateway device, there should be some writing; can you please post the actual writing (Name, brand, make, model)?

This information will hopefully help us to help you decide what changes your network would need

Thanks,
- Dan

internetgal

internetgal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hey internetgal and welcome to GTG.

Both a modem and a router can be considered "gateways". Do you by any chance know the make and model of your Gateway device? If your ISP gave it to you, I would suspect that it is a modem, although it is possible that it is a modem/router combo. On the actual Gateway device, there should be some writing; can you please post the actual writing (Name, brand, make, model)?

This information will hopefully help us to help you decide what changes your network would need

Thanks,
- Dan

Oh, yes see I'm horrible at all this, sorry about that. The box is White and gray and it says 2wire gateway on it, it's connected through local ethernet (yellow) and my phone line also. It lays flat down, not the stand up kind and it has nothing sticking up from it, hope that helps.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Ah, perfect. It looks like you have a modem/router combination. My main concern here is that you say that your laptop is connecting to your '2nd pc'? Your laptop really should be able to connect to your gateway device. Are the steps listed in this article similar to what you did to setup your laptop's connection?

On both the '2nd pc' and your laptop, please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan

internetgal

internetgal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Apparently somehow my wireless connection from my 2nd pc has been lost and I believe the connection with my main pc has been lost as well, maybe it's something that has to do with both pc's being infected with virus. Guess I need to work on getting systems cleaned as a priority first.

I typed in what you suggested on my second pc and this is what I found out: media disconnected and the c txt, read an internal error occurred and the request is not supported.

Now I have no idea how my laptop is connecting to the internet? I hope I'm secure.

I went into my 2 wire account and I'm certain both my pc's and laptop was showing up a while ago, but now only my main pc and my laptop shows up and it shows my main pc as inactive.

Also c txt cmd on laptop said access is denied. I have the window open on my laptop and 2nd pc so I can type the needed info here in my reply as I'm unable to get the c txt also laptop is running vista ultimate if thats needed.

Laptop: ipconfig all

Host Name: Naye-Pc
primary dns suffix:
Node type: Broadcast
ip routing enabled: no
wins proxy enabled: no
dns suffix search list: gateway.2wire.net

wireless LAN adapter wireless network connection

Dns suffix: gateway.2wire.net
description: dell wireless 1395 WLAN mini card
physical address: 00-24-2b-6f-32-da
dhcp enabled: yes
auto config: yes
link local ipv6 address: fe80::200b:b5eb:fa8:a2ec%12(preferred)
ipv4 address: 192.168.1.73(preferred)
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
least obtained: 2/15/09
expires: 2/20/09
default gateway: 192.168.1.254
dhcp server: 192.168.1.254
dns servers: 192.168.1.254
NetBios over tcpip: enabled

Ethernet adapter local area connection

Media state: media disconnected
connection specific dns suffix: pen.apac.dell.com
description: Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E fast ethernet
controller
physical address: 00-21-9b-ee-9e-cf
dhcp enabled: yes
autoconfig enable: yes

Tunnel adapter local area connection 6
media state: disconnected
connection specific dns suffix:
description: isatap.pen.apac.dell.com
physical address: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
dhcp enabled: no
auto config enabled: yes

Tunnel adapter connection 7

media state: disconnected
connection specific dns suffix:
description: teredo tunneling pseudo-interface
Physical address: 02-00-54-55-4e-01
dhcp enabled: no
auto config enabled: yes

Tunnel 11

Media state: disconnected
dns suffix: gateway.2wire.net
description: isatap.gateway.2wire.net
physical address: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
dhcp: No
auto config: yes

2nd pc ipconfig /all

Host name: Family
primary dns suffix:
Node type: broadcast
ip routing enabled: no
Wins proxy enabled: no

ethernet local area connection

Media: disconnected
description: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI fast ethernet
nic
physical address: 00-40-ca-41-2a-7f

ethernet wireless connection

media: disconnect
description: netgear wg111v2 54mbps wireless usb
physical address 00-1b-2f-ab-0f-c6

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey internetgal,

I see that you already have a Malware thread open; please continue to follow their advice, to get your machines cleaned up.

Now I have no idea how my laptop is connecting to the internet? I hope I'm secure

To ensure your laptop is protected, please follow the steps in this tutorial -- Preventing Malware and Safe Computing.

Once you have a clean bill of health, please post back in this thread, and we'll sort out whatever networking issues you encounter.

Thanks,
- Dan