Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stupid Browser!

• Please log in to reply

Gizz

Gizz

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi all! Ok, here goes:

When I got my laptop I used the standard Internet Explorer and connected to dial-up using Freeserve. Then a while back I swapped to Firefox. Recently I've scraped my way into the 21st Century and upgraded to broadband using Tiscali!

Now some sites still don't like Firefox, and some links (eg. in msn messenger) automatically open in Internet Explorer. Unfortunately Explorer insists on trying to connect via Freeserve, which has been banished and therefore it doesn't work!!

How can I get stupid old Explorer to use my current connection and wipe evil freeserve from it's memory for ever??!!

:tazz:

Advertisements

Jye

Jye

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Go to Tools-Internet options>connections delete it out from there.
should then see you tiscali
`

Gizz

Gizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yeah tried that before - Freeserve isn't even on the list, it's just Tiscali, but it still tries to connect to Freeserve!

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Try firewalling Dial-Up Internet. It may sound crazy but...

Gizz

Gizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Cheers for the suggestion, but I don't have a dial up connection to firewall! I deleted it completely in desperation.

And now I have an added problem: I reinstalled my broadband modem (just to see if it helped, which I knew it wouldn't anyway...) and now it refuses to use Firefox at all, even though it's set as the default browser. And of course, Internet Explorer isn't connecting for aforementioned reasons!!

:tazz:

Can laptops fly?? I want to test mine ...out the bloody window!!!!!!

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
If you browser is trying to go elsewhere and you didnt send it, then you have been browser highjacked. Run "Highjackthis" its a great program to detect which programs are taking controll of your system. go to www.pcworld.com in the download section under anti-spyware you will find HJT. run the program and save a log file, paste the log file in the Malware forum and an expert will assist you in removing those parasites.

Good Luck