Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't get on internet with vista laptop

• Please log in to reply

veris

veris

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

I have a wirelss laptop. We also have 3 other desktop. They are all connected thru router. All the sudden couple weeks ago my laptop started giving me trouble when it was connected to internet. Btw All but my laptop are Xp. Laptop is Vista. I can get email, I can run my msn messenger and yahoo messenger. I just can't get on websites. I tried rebooting router, turning off laptop. It used to work when I turned off laptop and restarted it would start working till today. It has been over 8 hrs and nothing yet. I have renews Ipconfig. dns flush all that I can think of. I pinged my other pcs in house and it is pinging fine. I pinged yahoo.com and other sites and the request times out. I have tried Firefox and IE. I run Mcafee. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Advertisements

creepysound

creepysound

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Have you run any new window updates?

Also, do you have the little Network Connection Icon showing on your taskbar area? If so, if you hover your mouse over it does it say "Local access Only" Or does it say somthing else?

I had a issue like this on a desktop. Only way i was able to resolve it was by doing a system restore before the problem started, from a restore point at that time. But lets check to see if that icon shows local acess or if it says somthing else.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Same thing in Safe Mode with Networking?
2. What happens, if you hardwire the laptop to the router?
3. What happens, if you bypass router, and hardwire laptop straight to the modem?