Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CoD4 FPS and Ping Spiking(?)

• Please log in to reply

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Just randomly a few days ago I've begun to get small little problems which are becoming a nuisance.

The first thing I'm experiencing are tiny "spikes," which I get every 30 seconds to 2 minutes. While this sounds like a very minor problem it has become extremely annoying. Using the lagometer in-game the bottom line (the green one) will drop to where nothing is shown and then spike up somewhat high. From what I understand about the lagometer I'm assuming this means I'm dropping connection then my ping spikes up?

The second thing I'm randomly experiencing is huge game lag. Just everything seems to become choppy for 1-2 seconds and then will go back to normal. Looking at the lagometer again it absolutely flips out.

Thirdly, sometimes when I start my game and connect to a server my game will just crash with "iw3mp.exe has stopped working."

I know these sound like minor problems but they are becoming quite a nuisance. This problem seems to have just appeared randomly so I'm starting to wonder if I've picked up a virus or something.

I have tried a crap load of stuff like: Updating my graphics drivers (updated to 181.22), restarting my modem/router, updating Punkbuster etc.

This is only a problem in CoD4 (games like L4D, CoD2 appear to be all fine), so I'm at a loss as to what's happening and I haven't installed anything recently. Any help would be appreciated.

My system specs are:

C2D [email protected] Ghz
2GB DDR2-800
8800GT 512MB (EVGA)
500GB Seagate (7200 rpm?)
Windows Vista Home Premium - 32bit

Edit: It appears to only be happening in CoD games. When I play Source games I haven't noticed this problem. Maybe Punkbuster is the issue? I've updated my mobo drivers, graphics drivers, have scanned for viruses, searched for spyware etc etc. Nothing seems out of order.

Edited by sixx jpN, 19 February 2009 - 11:51 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
sixx jpN,

It sounds like it is a issue specific with Call of Duty. Have you tried un-installing and reinstalling Call of Duty along with Punkbuster?

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Not yet, but would I have to uninstall both games? (CoD2 and CoD4?)

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
sixx jpN,

Have you applied the latest patches for the games?
I have also seen that sometimes updating the sound drivers for your system helps.

Edited by tuxmaster, 21 February 2009 - 01:45 PM.

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have the latest patches for both games.

I have integrated sound, would I need some sort of special download for that?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
sixx jpN,

You would need to obtain your sound driver from your computer manufacture. What is the make and model of your computer manufacture?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Punkbuster had an issue a few days ago. It is very likely the lag spikes are a result of this. I would manually update punkbuster to be safe. (see pb thread in above pinned section)

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

sixx jpN,

You would need to obtain your sound driver from your computer manufacture. What is the make and model of your computer manufacture?

I tried updating my sound drivers earlier today, I think I got the right ones. I have a "custom" CyberPower that I bought off Newegg. I went to ASUS (I have an ASUS P5N-E SLi or w/e for a motherboard). I downloaded one set of drivers, restarted, and then my sound was out (lol). Went to Cnet and found a new set of drivers (which apparently are newer) which I'm using right now and seem to be fine for now (at least my sound is back). I'm not sure if I got the latest drivers though.

Bad part is I went back in-game to see if it changed anything and I'm still getting the same problems. I still haven't tried reinstalling CoD4 which I'm assuming should be next on my list of things to try.

Punkbuster had an issue a few days ago. It is very likely the lag spikes are a result of this. I would manually update punkbuster to be safe. (see pb thread in above pinned section)

I've used PBSetup to update my PB every time. I tried again right now and there's no new updates. Is there anything else I can check with PB? It's the only thing that makes sense at this point since I'm only having these problems in COD2 and COD4 at the moment.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Edited by sixx jpN, 21 February 2009 - 06:46 PM.

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Question before I try reinstalling.

Since I am experiencing problems in both CoD2 and 4 will reinstalling be beneficial to solving the problem? If so will I have to reinstall both games? Just want to make sure I'm not reinstalling for no reason.